"Saddam trial unsound" Bonus topic: death penalty for Jews

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by cheesypoptart, Nov 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Original here (as usual from the Beeb).

Properly convicting Saddam should have been easier than stealing candy from a baby. A Thalidomide baby. That's already dead.

If the Iraqis can't even properly convict this man when they have everything handed to them on a plate, what hope is there for that fledgling nation?

That said, I'm a bit miffed at Human Rights Watch for diluting the impact of their report with the usual betrayal of their own biases:

Now, I'm against the death penalty for ordinary citizens, but surely statesmen and other major figures must bear greater responsibilities and penalties considering the vast impact their decisions have on millions of people (hello Tony, hello George)? More than a common criminal, for sure. What about Goebbels? What about Julius and Ethel Rosenberg (and the rest of their gang that put a smear on my religion)? How many deaths do you have to cause before you lose your right to life? Or can it be genuinely said that no one ever loses their right to life? Someone help me make up my mind.

(Okay, maybe this isn't quite about the death penalty for Jews - only - but I thought it'd draw Sergey into the thread)

2. SadMan Husseins trial was flawed and unjust acording to Human Rights Watch... and perhaps they are right... defendants and prosecutors kept dropping dead. On thing's for sure though... he got a longer trial than the 148 people who were slaughtered in the Shia town of Dujail.

BBC article

"In addition, the imposition of the death penalty - an inherently cruel and inhumane punishment - in the wake of an unfair trial is indefensible." This is food for thought.

3. You really have to love organisations like Human Wrongs Watch, amnesty international, liberty etc etc. They seem to channel all their energy into helping those who really dont deserve it.

CNUTS

4. That's not what I find hard - it's the fact that for years, all of these organisations have been soliciting donations, haranguing the public, Governments, businesses etc about the evils of such people as Saddam Hussein, clamouring "something must be done!!!"

Then something is done.

But it's not done in the way that they want.

Next time someone from Amnesty International is pontificating about the evils of this world, I would like an interviewer to ask them for their solution.

5. Whilst it is quite obvious that Saddam Hussein was guilty (if he wasn't then Dubya and Bliar are war criminals). Human Rights Watch's point is that if this trial was not conducted properly, what hope is there for the average Iraqi to receive a fair trial? They are not questioning Hussein's guilt, but the ability of the Iraqi justice system to operate effectively and make fair and balanced judgements.

6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Saddam was never going to (and could never) get a fair trial - if by fair trial you mean judged by people with no pre-conceptions and judged solely on the evidence put before them in court. He is guilty and the whole world knows it.

To infer from this trial that Iraqi justice in general is flawed is nonsense - this was such an extraordinary trial that it has no real relevance to day to day goings on in Iraq. I suspect this trial was probably a lot fairer than day to deal judicial dealings (I've no kinowledge and thats pure prejuduce on my part).

The human right mob just bring themselves further into direpute by this sort of pronouncement.

7. They are worried that the lawyers had little or no training in INTERNATIONAL LAW. Im not. He was an Iraqi and tried in Iraq under Iraqi law for crimes against Iraqis. Iraq has the death penalty and has chosen to award it.

About time all the foriegners shut up and let the Iraqis get on with their own INTERNAL business.