Saddam to face just 12 charges

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DozyBint, Jun 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the BBC:
    I'm not surprised that they've reduced the number of charges to 12, as smaller numbers focus the mind more clearly: to quote Stalin; "One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic." I am, however, surprised that the original charges only numbered a possible 500.

For full story see here.

2. You can only kill him once. As long as the OJ or Michael Jackson prosecutors aren't trying the case it shouldn't be too hard.

3. Why even waste time and money trying the jerk? Everyone knows he is guilty. Just put him in front of a judge and have his "defense" explain why he shouldn't have a bullet put into his head. Get it over with...Quit wasting the worlds time. Its almost like trying Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc. Just for the show?

4. Phil, as you well know it's because we NEED TO BE SEEN to be practising the liberal democratic processes that we preach and export...

5. The trial is part of the democratic process just to murder him on a whim would make us no better than he is!!

6. Actually the Iraqi president already stated tha he wouldn´t sign a death warrant for Saddam Hussein. I think the plan is to let him rot in jail for the rest of his life. Also, I think that quite a few of his former friends wouldn´tbe too sad if he got executed, because in jail he might spill the beans of e.g. his relations with Rumsfeld or others.

Jan

7. shuuuuurleyyyy there must be some mishtake??

Ed

8. I'm too believe that Saddam is guilty. But it is only my private opinion.

Moreover, I fear that skilled lawyer could defend Saddam very effectively. For example:

Gased Kurds? Tragic accident during transportation of dangerous chemicals... You have proof that weapons were used deliberately? Mmm... It was initiative of local commanders. They were severely punished... They were not punished? Mmm... In conditions of war thier sentences were postponed... They were not in jail at all? Mmm... They were pardoned because of their heroism in war time.

As to tortures and abused of prisoners in Abu-Graib (in Saddam times) then I doubt that this crime is among remaining 12.

9. Just let him rot in jail. The man's a murderer on a large scale, along with many other of the world's despots. He was 'ok' once, but he turned against the west and you don't do that. Don't let Rumsfeld or Bush press for the death sentence - that would be a big mistake