Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Saddam - the verdict

geo, anyone who goes on about folk like me 'bleating' 'whining' or being 'naive'are just the kind of people who wont face up to the errors in their own thinking.
Anyway, I have already said, my views are on the same wave length as those who at the top of the armed forces.
Perhaps you would like to tell them they are naive, bleating whinners.

SLRboy said:
I may be many things but naive is not one them.
Which is why I spotted the deliberate lies told before this war broke out.
It is why I faultlessly have predicted the dogs breakfast it has turned out to be.
And finally my views are not too far removed from those who are running the frigging army!
So you can stick that in your tinfoil pipe and smoke it.

Nurse! the electric cattle prod please

SLRboy said:
muzzleflash, geo,
All I have to say right now is - Max Hastings - Guardian article - GO!

I dont need to read any article mate, I believe we were lied to, I didnt agree with the original premise of WMD's and Al quaeda links with Saddam, I knew from the word go that this would be a long protracted messy affair purely because the Yanks were in charge and Blair had his head so far up Bush's ass that he cleaned his teeth for him from the inside. I suspected from the offset that this was dubyas attempt to do what his daddy didn't.

but forever going on and on and on about it in nigh on every post you write isn't doing anything for your credibility, hence people calling for cattle prods nurses and wibble hats.

an inquiry into it at this stage, aint going to stop our troops (or anybody elses for that matter) being killed, theories about whether Al quaeda or the CIA taking out the twin towers aint going to stop our troops being killed, and bleating on about blair being a Liar aint going to stop our troops being killed.

OK if we hadn't gone in in the first place then scores of Iraqi civvies wont have been slaughtered each day, but no amount of whining about the illegalities of the coalition invasion of Iraq is going to bring any of the dead back. Its NOW that they are being slaughtered daily by OTHER Iraqis, its what do we do NOW to stop the killings thats important , not "whine whine whine blair and bush lied, whine whine we shouldnt have been in there in the first place"...I AGREE WITH YOU, we shouldnt have been there in the first place but we ARE there so what can we do now!!

There will be time later for all the politicians to stick their knives into each others backs about why the troops went in, for all the inquiries and all the thesis's to be written. I mean, christ there's still debates galore about Vietnam, the whys and wherefores of this one aint going to go away all that soon are they?

PS. yes they should have dropped a grenade down his rat hole one dead ex-tyrant no messy trials, no accusations of unfair travesties of justice, just one corpse with a few holes in it...end of story

Thanks for your reply Geo,
I appreciate a lot of what you say although I would like it if you could possibly drop the use of the word whinning as it is not an accurate description of what I am doing.
Standing near a cliff edge bellowing through a bull horn at a stampeding herd of lemmings and yelling at them to turn around before it is too late,
would be a better description of my utterly powerless and ultimately futile position.

And while as the serving soldier you no doubt are, can have little effect on the idiot designs of our masters, you still do what you have to do.
Likewise from my position I do what I have to do.

Now I suppose it could be easy for me to sit here sticking pins in a little action man doll all the while laughing uproariously at the discomfiture of those serving in the armed forces.
But that is neither my inclination or nor my intent.

Like Hastings who is a lover of the army, I heartily despise those leaders of ours who have put so many thoughtful decent serving personnel on a very hot moral spot. And I dearly hope there is a special circle in hell reserved exclusively for such characters.

So why do I go on about the origins of it all?
As Max Bygraves used to say, "Gather round, I wanna tell you a story."

A few years ago someone invented a new and highly effective way of catching squid.
It was a thin metal pole about 2 ft. long. It had rows of barbed hooks pointing upwards along its length and a weight with a flashing light in it on the end.

Fishermen lower this implement attached to a line into the sea after dark.
The light attracts the squid who come shooting up from beneath gobble the weighted end and then find they have a row of barbs embedded in their mouths. At first they try and pull back, but this of course embeds the barbs in further. Then they try loosening themselves by shooting further upwards only to find when they pause they now have another row of barbs embedded in their mouths.
This results in ever more painful thrashing around trying to loosen themselves whilst all the while becoming more hooked.

The squid could never extricate itself from the predicament of having tread where angels would have feared to go in the beginning, it would need external assistance.

Now you take Iraq, first we invade and occupy. (Oh dear, should have looked first).
Still we are there now so we capture Saddam and put him on trial, with the intention of helping make an unpopular war more popular.
At least it will be a result of sorts went the thinking.

But the show trial was a shambles and during its duration here in Britain there were enough articles in papers and on T.V. informing us of our and the yanks complicity with the scumbag back in the days when it suited us.
So that diluted the trials effect and added to cynicism back here.

And in Iraq it was just one more point of poisonous aggravation to add to the pot. To lots of Iraqis it was a humiliation people coming from outside and putting their leader on trial. It was their business to depose and try him if they wanted. AS AND WHEN THEY WERE READY TO DO SO.
I have failed to understand why so many others have failed to understand that even in a dictatorship a continually evolving political dynamic is in operation and should be allowed to take its course, unless there is a clear and present danger from that source.

But the verdicts in and the bugger gets nothing less than he deserves.
So what happens now, He's on the scaffold do you pull the lever or do you stop and think?
Have you weighed up the consequences of him being hanged. Can you even predict with any degree of accuracy what any consequences might be? If you can't it would be sensible to not drop him until you can.

Ah, but you can't have him hanging around unhung can you? The longer you did that the more uncertainty and suspicion it would breed leading to more violence
And people would think you are week and indecisive.

Getting the picture? After swallowing the first row of barbs by attacking the place in the first place you could be just about to swallow another row of barbs by hanging a bastard who deserves to die!

Difficult isn't it?
We acted like greedy squid from the beginning and the more we struggle the more barbs we will swallow.
WE cannot stop THEM from killing each other now, when it was WE who started killing THEM to begin with.

We can only hope to extricate ourselves from our own hooks as our presence there, as Dannet has said, is exacerbating them who live there and who are now trapped on barbed hooks of their own.

(P.S. Its possible the Yanks might put the hanging on hold anyway, they are trying to reach an accord for their own reasons with the Sunni insurgent groups right now, if so the plot will continue to wend its weary way to gods knows where.)

I'm surprised he didn't get an ASBO or 200 hours community service. I had to chuckle when some daft geezer made a point of a guard chewing gum! Let's weigh it up.... genocide, chewing gum.... it's difficult eh?

SLRboy said:
Thanks for your reply Geo,
I appreciate a lot of what you say although I would like it if you could possibly drop the use of the word whinning as it is not an accurate description of what I am doing.
Standing near a cliff edge bellowing through a bull horn at a stampeding herd of lemmings and yelling at them to turn around before it is too late,
would be a better description of my utterly powerless and ultimately futile position.

And while as the serving soldier you no doubt are, can have little effect on the idiot designs of our masters, you still do what you have to do.
Likewise from my position I do what I have to do.

Now I suppose it could be easy for me to sit here sticking pins in a little action man doll all the while laughing uproariously at the discomfiture of those serving in the armed forces.
But that is neither my inclination or nor my intent.

Like Hastings who is a lover of the army, I heartily despise those leaders of ours who have put so many thoughtful decent serving personnel on a very hot moral spot. And I dearly hope there is a special circle in hell reserved exclusively for such characters.

So why do I go on about the origins of it all?
As Max Bygraves used to say, "Gather round, I wanna tell you a story."

A few years ago someone invented a new and highly effective way of catching squid.
It was a thin metal pole about 2 ft. long. It had rows of barbed hooks pointing upwards along its length and a weight with a flashing light in it on the end.

Fishermen lower this implement attached to a line into the sea after dark.
The light attracts the squid who come shooting up from beneath gobble the weighted end and then find they have a row of barbs embedded in their mouths. At first they try and pull back, but this of course embeds the barbs in further. Then they try loosening themselves by shooting further upwards only to find when they pause they now have another row of barbs embedded in their mouths.
This results in ever more painful thrashing around trying to loosen themselves whilst all the while becoming more hooked.

The squid could never extricate itself from the predicament of having tread where angels would have feared to go in the beginning, it would need external assistance.

Now you take Iraq, first we invade and occupy. (Oh dear, should have looked first).
Still we are there now so we capture Saddam and put him on trial, with the intention of helping make an unpopular war more popular.
At least it will be a result of sorts went the thinking.

But the show trial was a shambles and during its duration here in Britain there were enough articles in papers and on T.V. informing us of our and the yanks complicity with the scumbag back in the days when it suited us.
So that diluted the trials effect and added to cynicism back here.

And in Iraq it was just one more point of poisonous aggravation to add to the pot. To lots of Iraqis it was a humiliation people coming from outside and putting their leader on trial. It was their business to depose and try him if they wanted. AS AND WHEN THEY WERE READY TO DO SO.
I have failed to understand why so many others have failed to understand that even in a dictatorship a continually evolving political dynamic is in operation and should be allowed to take its course, unless there is a clear and present danger from that source.

But the verdicts in and the bugger gets nothing less than he deserves.
So what happens now, He's on the scaffold do you pull the lever or do you stop and think?
Have you weighed up the consequences of him being hanged. Can you even predict with any degree of accuracy what any consequences might be? If you can't it would be sensible to not drop him until you can.

Ah, but you can't have him hanging around unhung can you? The longer you did that the more uncertainty and suspicion it would breed leading to more violence
And people would think you are week and indecisive.

Getting the picture? After swallowing the first row of barbs by attacking the place in the first place you could be just about to swallow another row of barbs by hanging a fatherless who deserves to die!

Difficult isn't it?
We acted like greedy squid from the beginning and the more we struggle the more barbs we will swallow.
WE cannot stop THEM from killing each other now, when it was WE who started killing THEM to begin with.

We can only hope to extricate ourselves from our own hooks as our presence there, as Dannet has said, is exacerbating them who live there and who are now trapped on barbed hooks of their own.

(P.S. Its possible the Yanks might put the hanging on hold anyway, they are trying to reach an accord for their own reasons with the Sunni insurgent groups right now, if so the plot will continue to wend its weary way to gods knows where.)

wha........eh?!.......... , your nuttier than squirrel sh!t.

brilliant ,carry on.

My God, the kind comments keep pouring in. At this rate you will soon be sending me flowers!
Whilst I appreciate your pithy remarks Mark 1234, it wasn't strictly necessary for you to copy the whole of my post again in your own.
My post appeared not far above your own you see?

Whilst I am of course flattered that you should have thought to do so, I usually like not to repeat myself and always like to leave the audience wanting more.

Now, just a little comment for all my fans out there. Please do read and inwardly digest my posts by all means.
However, try doing it without moving your lips or repeating the words out loud to yourself. It might have the unfortunate effect of giving away your position to the enemy.

I have been asked at times, "Sir, do we have to commit your words to memory?" Once again I'll repeat this is not strictly necessary, it will be quite sufficient if you just manage to grasp a mere inkling of the frigging meaning of what I am saying.

As for Saddam, why don't we bring him back to Britain and put him in the Big Brother House? I think he would make an interesting and lively guest and do wonders for the ratings don't you think?

SLRboy said:
My God, the kind comments keep pouring in. At this rate you will soon be sending me flowers!
Whilst I appreciate your pithy remarks Mark 1234, it wasn't strictly necessary for you to copy the whole of my post again in your own.
My post appeared not far above your own you see?

Whilst I am of course flattered that you should have thought to do so, I usually like not to repeat myself and always like to leave the audience wanting more.

Now, just a little comment for all my fans out there. Please do read and inwardly digest my posts by all means.
However, try doing it without moving your lips or repeating the words out loud to yourself. It might have the unfortunate effect of giving away your position to the enemy.

I have been asked at times, "Sir, do we have to commit your words to memory?" Once again I'll repeat this is not strictly necessary, it will be quite sufficient if you just manage to grasp a mere inkling of frigging meaning of what I am saying.

As for Saddam, why don't we bring him back to Britain and put him in the Big Brother House? I think he would make an interesting and lively guest and do wonders for the ratings don't you think?

Mate if your wibbling rantings had any sort of relevance to the discussion you may get a better response ,but it just comes across as the prose of a madman losing grip on reality fast.

Maybe if you made a rough draft before posting rather than writing every random thought that pops into your head.

Also, 319 posts since joining on the 20th of october 2006, get a f**king job