Saddam offers "sacrifice" for Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Dec 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

BAGHDAD (Reuters) -
    Saddam Hussein, due to be hanged within 30 days, said his execution should be seen as a sacrifice for the nation and called on Iraqis to unite and fight U.S. forces in the country.

"Here I offer myself in sacrifice," Saddam said in a letter obtained from his defence lawyers in Jordan on Wednesday. "If my soul goes down this path (of martyrdom) it will face God in serenity."

Looks like even staring death in the face,he's still trying to run the show!
  2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

I get the feeling a lot of the iraqi people look forward to his sacrifice....
  3. He's always been a crap bluffer.
  4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I have reserved judgement about the death penalty, because there are always a few individuals sent to the gallows who were truly innocent.

Saddam however, is an evil murdering c**t who deserves to die horribly.

Martyr or not, the bastard deserves death.
  5. Offer,hmm, to me that word implies choice. I don't think so, after all he is banged up and just had his final appeal turned down. It doesn't matter if he goes kicking and screaming, he is going and this C/S will not be shedding any tears! :p
  6. No tears will be shed here either. He should be executed at the earliest opportunity.
  7. Why?

So a new era of peace can suddenly dawn in the country?

Why should he be executed exactly?
  8. I dont know exterminating hundreds of thousands of his people is a good reason.
  9. I didn't know he was condemned to death for that.

Oh wait, he wasn't was he.

Could it be because the main allegations he had killed hundreds of thousands of people came from a series of sources since proven unreliable and unsafe to use in a prosecution?

Why do we need to execute him at all? Hess was banged up in Spandau for the rest of his natural, and that served a very important purpose.

No I don't mean allowing the Russians a foothold in West Berlin.

The execution of Saddam will spark and fuel a backlash. This backlash will extend, and be used against us beyond the Iraqi border.
  10. Its really up to the Iraqi people, its their country. We're just along for the ride.
  11. Oh come on T6, do you really believe that?

We're endorsing a government, that seems to have a major problem dealing with corruption in it's own ranks.

"Oh I'll have a cabinet re-shuffle , that'll solve it" . Well it didn't , and a ministry had it's employees kidnapped.

The weak, wobbly, vendatta-driven corrupt mess of a 'Government' is going to fall over. The death of Saddam, will be a short term fix, if at all, to a wider cancerous problem.

Out of interest, what happened to Saddam's seized assets?

Surely banging him in jail, and using his assets to pay compensation to injured parties is another way of getting the message across?

I don't mean to be dog in a manger about this T6, but what useful purpose is served by executing him now?

Surely far better , to have him living in a state of constand and abject humiliation?
  12. Tend to agree with you PtP.

If he dangles (and I actually think he should) the repercussions will almost certainly involve a number of British lives when the backlash kicks in, - and it will. Too many have already died because of a shortsighted bunch of egotistical 'people'. Let's not add any more for the sake of so called justice.

Why turn him into a martyr just for the sake of it?
  14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

But it looks like he may be dodging the bullet....

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Saddam Hussein may not hang this coming month, senior officials said on Thursday, casting doubt on how government factions may interpret an appeal court ruling that appeared to say he should die within 30 days.

The officials indicated it seemed unlikely the former Iraqi president's sentence would be carried out before late January, despite a court statute that says executions
  15. I do understand that the sentence has yet to be ratified (sp) any way, does anyone else know ?