Sad news........

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by top_soldier, Dec 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very sad news. Rest in Peace. My condolences to his family.

2. Im unsure what to say, a soldier gets killed in road traffic accident?

What should I be saying?

Ban roads? Cars?

3. If the above is all you can come up with, say **** all mate?

R.I.P...Condolences to his family.

• Like Like x 3
  4. There's been debate on ARRSE a few times about this sort of thread for service personnel who die in the UK in routine accidents. I'm on the side who doesn't think it's worthy of an RIP thread. Might sound harsh to some but I don't see RIP threads for every other person who dies in road accidents...

• Like Like x 7
  5. I take it you've never heard of Facebook. I deleted my account but the whole thing was plastered with them.

Incidently if somebody wants to set up an RIP thread, in relation to the death of a serviceman, allow others to comment who may have known him, speak to others who knew him and in turn may know eachother does it really cause you any harm?

You could have ignored the thread as they clearly aren't your thing yet you popped your head in and left a comment. Strange.

6. Yes, god forbid that an opinion is expressed. The horror.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zero Over, and Closet Jibber, yes I am upset a young man has died. what is the point of the original post, it was an accident and a young squaddie died?

I know I have posted the most trivial bile on here, but this is quite a poingnant subject.

RIP fella.

8. Careful, you don't want the full weight of the grief whore mafia to descend upon you.

• Like Like x 2
  9. God forbid someone draw the attention of others to the death of a serviceman, on a serviceman's (Hahaha well supposed to be) website. I just find it unusual that you felt it appropriate and necessary to voice that opinion in this/these thread(s). It would have been a shame if the OP knew the bloke although I do accept with his 3 letter contribution this is unlikely.

Personally I must agree that ten pages of 3 letter posts are a bit of a waste of time but I wouldn't go out of my way to discourage this behaviour because I (and others) actually check these threads (morbidly) to make sure it wasn't someone I knew/served with.

10. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

My take is that as a soldier, the deceased is part of the community that this website represents. Therefore an RIP thread for accidental deaths is as appropriate as one for the victim of an IED in Helmand.

RIP to the dead soldier - Sad at any time of the year, doubly so now.

11. Ah well, I stand by what I said. If you've taken offence at my comment that isn't my fault, as it wasn't directed at you.

12. No offence taken I assure you.

13. If thats the case, we should post a 'RIP thread' every time a fat slapper, civvy wannabe, spotty teenager who plays far too much Call of Duty or pretty much any other social inadequate pops their clogs....

This site has **** all to do with soldiers or the British Army.

14. And still, the family of that bloke may be drawn to this site through the wonders of Google.
    I think it's the least we can do to say RIP to a young soldier taken before what should have been his time, regardless of the usual grief-whores, nationality, and people who find they are way too hard to show any feelings etc...

RIP...