Sad news

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by once_a_maverick, Mar 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen on the RSA website that the former SOinC, Maj Gen Birtwistle, known by all corps members as Archie has passed away. I only met him once but was hugely impressed, and not just because I was supposed to be.

RIP Sir
  2. Sad news.

He presented me with my LS&GC - a long time ago .....!!
  3. Sad news - remember him well
  4. R.I.P. Sir

Taken from The Northern Echo
  5. RIP - Brilliant bloke and good wicketkeeper to boot IIRC

6. R.I.P. Boss.
  7. Very sad news. He was a real character. RIP, Sir.
  8. RIP Archie, Sir.

A genuine legend throughout the Corps.

I am saddened by this news.
  9. Like everyone else, I find this news very sad. 'Archie' was the Inspecting Officer at my pass of at Ouston in 1983 (Kohima Troop). He was a real character and I doubt we will ever see his likes again.

A heartfelt RIP, Sir.
  10. When i was a Staff car driver in Blandford many moons ago i used to pick him up from Salisbury train Staition quite frequent. He really was a true gent. Always wanted to sit in the front for a chat rather than in the back. He once said to me he was convinced that all Staff cars came with broken radios as when he got in they were never on.

Really sad as the man was a legend in our Corps.

RIP Archie
  11. This man was unique; he had the inherent quality of being able to talk to rather than talk at soldiers. The mould was most certainly broken after him. I consider myself exceedingly lucky and privileged to have known him personally. He will be sorely missed.

My sincere condolences to Sylvia and the family.

RIP Sir.
  12. A really down to earth sound bloke.

RIP Sir, you will be missed.
  13. R.I.P will be missed....wont be forgotton
    will have a beer for him, in the bar at 7 ..... which is named after him.
  14. Yes, very sad news indeed.
    I never had the priviledge to meet the man people refer to as 'Archie'.
    I was serving in Blandford whilst he was the SOinC and saw him cutting around in his Staff Car a few times.
    Seems like he was a lovely man and a good General to boot, not that common I would imagine!
    RIP Sir