Sad news: "Nails" is no more.....

Dear All, it is my sad duty to inform you that the term "nails" as in "that PT was fucking nails" or "dont wind him up,he's fucking nails" has now officially been declared obsolete in the Armyspeak dictionary.

It has been replaced (or so I've noticed) by the new term "lick". This is used in much the same way: "what a lick that PT was" and "just back from exercise mate, what a fucking lick it was".

The demise of nails follows the death of "gleaming" in 1998 and "mint" in 2002.

But a striking reassurgance of the term "bollo". Where did that sneak in?!

Clusterfuck is still going strong, at least it is where I work...

Dear All, it is my sad duty to inform you that the term "nails" as in "that PT was fucking nails" or "dont wind him up,he's fucking nails" has now officially been declared obsolete in the Armyspeak dictionary.

It has been replaced (or so I've noticed) by the new term "lick". This is used in much the same way: "what a lick that PT was" and "just back from exercise mate, what a fucking lick it was".

The demise of nails follows the death of "gleaming" in 1998 and "mint" in 2002.
"Gleaming" & "Mint" are still going strong in my little part of the planet.

"Lick" can fecking "do one."

"innit" is heard thousands of times a day where I work, unfortunately.

I hate "lick" and "lick out" but people who should really know better use them constantly.

I thought NINJA had replaced NAILS!?

Ive certainly heard... 'That was a beast of a CFT' Lick just doesnt sound right. Long live Nails!!!

ps.. at first I thought you were talking about the jock who got half his head shot off and survived. Thank god he is still going strong!

Anything is better than 'hoofin'' - talking to a Bootneck the other day, every other word was bloody hoofin', until I told him to stop it.

Isn't 'lick' just short for 'lickout', as in "that TAB was a right fucking lickout"?

Nails is still used extensively!

Lickout was removed from the military dictionary when the WRAC was disbanded.
A Tab was something you smoked after watching two young ladies practicing the above mentioned lickout PT.
Nails PT is a RAF Regt phrase meaning a manicure.

I'd much rather hear any number and combination of cheesy, shit military slang words than be in hearing range of the fashion for over using the latest "business" buzz words that some fucking spanker has heard/taken a shine to while watching The Apprentice.

A clear cunt indicator in my opinion...

"Threadders" is still going strong in this part of the world to indicate "an general air of tiredness and grumbling about an activity".

Of course if it's really bad, "fucking threadders" can be used, before going to the ultimate level of disgruntlement - "shit cunt threadders".

Something which used to be in every other post on ARRSE was 'mag to grid' - but that's disappeared.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
StBob072 Blue Jokes 13
Spanish_Dave ARRSE Social, Events & Networking 107
subbsonic Int Corps 6