Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Sad News - Death of REME Legend

It is with a heavy heart that I must inform the Corps of the very sad loss of Sergeant John Pritchard (Sgt P), who passed away peacefully today (Friday 13th December)
John was a legend among so many REME soldiers at SEME Bordon during the 1980’s & 90’s, a distinguished soldier from the Royal Regiment of Wales, a holder of the British Empire Medal, and a career that lasted 32 years, he was a strong influence on so many young soldiers who passed through SEME.
Condolences to his daughters, son & family, he will be remembered warmly, with love, humour and respect.

Last edited:
I remember receiving some advice in my early Bordon Days.
Stay away from B Coy as you’ll probably get shouted at by some bloke going on about ‘my lines’.
Met the man a few times socially, many years later. Very pleasant.

RiP John

It is with a heavy heart that I must let the Corps know of the very sad loss of Sergeant John Pritchard (Sgt P), who passed away peacefully today (Friday 13th December)
John was a legend among so many REME soldiers at SEME Bordon during the 1980’s & 90’s, a distinguished soldier from the Royal Regiment of Wales, a holder of the British Empire Medal, and a career that lasted 32 years, he was a strong influence on so many young soldiers who passed through SEME.
Condolences to his daughter & family, he will be remembered warmly, with love, humour and respect.
I remember him well, he was awarded his BEM in Armagh, I think in the 1989 tour. John was a favourite in the Bn. RIP Good Soldier!!!

I believe that Bordon is no more? All moved to RAF Lyneham
The TTA is unsurprisingly contaminated with all the engine oil poured down the drains & the asbestos found in the roofing of the workshop area's, But yes Bordon & Abourfield closed and the ex RAF Lyneham chosen as the new Corps HQ & SEME

The TTA is unsurprisingly contaminated with all the engine oil poured down the drains & the asbestos found in the roofing of the workshop area's, But yes Bordon & Abourfield closed and the ex RAF Lyneham chosen as the new Corps HQ & SEME
Martinique Barracks being demolished a long time ago was very sad, but when they flattened the 'tiffy' selection area and the last of the spiders, for me, Bordon was no more. But then look at Aldershot! Who would have thought that the home of the British Army would ever be destroyed. I barely recognise the place.

It is with a heavy heart that I must inform the Corps of the very sad loss of Sergeant John Pritchard (Sgt P), who passed away peacefully today (Friday 13th December)
Condolences to his daughters, son & family, he will be remembered warmly, with love, humour and respect.
I remember him well, he helped me get a quarter during my class one as my wife was heavily pregnant. He cut through all the red tape to help me. I never forgot him and thanked him when I left Borden. He always had time for everyone, a real Gentleman!