Sacrifice Medal

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by emptyeye, Apr 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If its been posted before, sue me but.........its now TIME to give our people something similar. Im not saying we should take the lead from our colonial cousins but: You all know what im trying to say here.

August 29, 2008

OTTAWA –– Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, is pleased to announce that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II approved the creation of the Sacrifice Medal. The medal will be awarded to military personnel, members of allied forces or Canadian civilians working under the authority of the Canadian Forces, who suffered wounds or death caused by hostile action, on or after October 7, 2001.

“Our soldiers deserve our utmost respect and deepest gratitude,” said the Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada. “This medal recognizes the valued contribution of those who sacrificed their health or their lives while serving Canada.”

[​IMG]

edit to add, not just some sort of recognition medal but, full financial support each year if awarded.

More edit as the last pic was blotting out the sun

2. I see side boob.

3. Bloody hell, a bit morbid isn't it?

Have you got any larger images as well? These don't show up too well!

4. If it was called 'I died in combat' medal..morbid I agree..

5. Where does it stop though. At losing an arm? 5% burns? Missing finger? Scratched leg? Twisted ankle?

It isn't needed and would just cause friction.

6. I lost a testicle on Telic 4, would I get one?

7. Do you mean a testicle or a medal?

8. both if possible!

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

In WW1 bereaved familes were sent a large bronze plaque with the dead man's name engraved on it. They were called 'Dead Man's Pennies'. I don't know what the general feeling was about them at the time but my great-grandmother had one for her son kia on his 11th day in France in 1914 (don't know who eventually inherited it but I remember it from her cabinet during my childhood; I've got his cap badge).

10. "Canadian Forces, who suffered wounds or death caused by hostile action, on or after October 7, 2001. "

Any injury that has resulted from enemy action should qualify, so loss of a limb, burns, GSW etc. Not a twisted ankle although you could argue it happened whilist in contact!

Why don't we have something to recognise our "sacrifice" I think something like that would be fitting and is long over due.

11. You do get something. You get a medal for the theatre you serve in. Medals have never been given out for injuries alone in the British Army and we've had much worse wars and operations than the current ones.

12. Whose testicle?

13. I see no reason why our lads & lasses should not be given some sort of recognition for their wounds as per other countries forces,something similar to the "Purple Heart" or "Sacrifice Medal".
    And would it not be only fair, that those who lost their lives who had families/dependants could rely on the Government to ensure those dependants left behind were well looked after?Lets face it,that's what we all wanted when we were serving.

14. As a light hearted aside to this, I was chatting to a 1 Para bloke who was on attachment to the Yanks a fair few years back and the said Yank was gobbing off how he'd been shot x amount of times and had the Purple Heart, he asked the 1 Para bloke what did they get when they'd been shot and he replied 'sent back to basic training'. Says a bit I suppose!