Saag recipe

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Trans-sane, Oct 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Previously I'd have poured scorn on pre-blended spices but Shan and Laziza changed my mind after being introduced by one of the Indian lads at work. They make a good basis to then build on I have found. For the recipe you will need the following:-

3lb of onions, peeled and sliced into rings
    2lb of tomatoes, finely chopped
    Half bag of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
    Tube of tomato puree
    8-12 fresh red chillis, deseeded to taste
    4-6 cloves of garlic, peeled
    fresh root ginger about one and a half times the size of your thumb, peeled
    2lb of meat, diced (chicken breast works but I prefer lamb shoulder or beef brisket)
    Sachet of Karahi/Meat Fry spices as described above
    Oil for frying
    Large handful of fresh corriander chopped
    Salt to taste

Using a hand blender puree the chillis, giner and garlic together to make a wet massala

Cover the base of a large frying pan with oil and bring to a moderate heat. Add the spice sachet and fry gently for about a minute. Add the onions and fry for about 5 minutes stirring to prevent the onions browning too much. They should soften, become translucent and abosorb some of the spices to turn yellow. Remove the onions to a lage saucepan OR slow cooker (pan for chicken, slow cooker for other meats), but saving the oil in the frying pan. Add the tomatoes and stir-fry until they are cooked and starting to dry out. Add the tomatoes to the sausepan or slow cooker. Next fry the spinach until it dries out slightly and the wetness has been driven off.

Fry the pureed chillis on a moderate heat for 2-3 minutes then add the meat. Seal the meat and stir-fry with the chilli puree for 5 minutes of so. Add the meat to the saucepan/slow cooker. Add the tomato puree and stir well. If using chicken, simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, add the corriander, taste and add salt if required and serve. If using lamb or brisket (or even venison), simmer in the slow cooker for as long as you can get away with. Again just before serving add the corriander and add salt as required.

Serve with rice and roti/chapati

PS I know the quantities are on the high side. I know this makes a LOT. But it freezes very well so you can always have a quick hot meal to hand. Personally I prefer the Laziza brand as it seems to have a better variety of herbs and spices in it, plus its a bigger packet so more flavour.
  2. Might give that a whirl!