Builds Saab Gripen JAS 39 jet Fighter Airfix 1/72 scale

Time to build the first of the kits Mrs Sprocket found in the charity shop late last year. An old battered kit box it may be.
box artwork a.jpg

but the kit is mint condition, still in the sealed bag, decals, instructions present.
bagged parts.jpg

but I can't stand these end opening tip and spill boxs, made for cost cutting rather than model making pleasure, ok for frozen fish, but crap for this, so I'll use the recently vacated 1.35th Lee CDL box.
new box.jpg

the kit parts are all on the sprue, and nothing missing.
framed parts.jpg

out of sequence, but I want to trial fit the fuselage halves to see how well they go together, quite a good matching fit as it goes, held together with masking tape. Check out that streamlined design, so sleek, this should look nice in a glass case, no pilot figure so wheels down on the concrete apron.
fuselage halves.jpg

Boxy

GCM
Saw one at Leuchars one year...was surprised at how small it was

Saw one at Leuchars one year...was surprised at how small it was
Hopefully not as small as the one Sprocket’s putting together.

offering up the wing for a test fit.
wing offer up.jpg

amazingly enough for it's age, 1990's it's a good fit, here at least.
wing wing fit.jpg

the wing to fuselage fit isn't bad, but the root needs the gap filling.
wing root gap.jpg

let the Mr surfacer harden off before it's sanded smooth.
wing root gap filled.jpg

not really my thing either, I know f... all about these, but I thought it looked good. Looking at it here, I wonder how the thing stays airbourne, I know it's a minimum airspeed verses air flow lift, but even so, it looks like something from Captain Scarlet.
spiney norman.jpg

the opening diggery doos at the back are something to do with slowing down a bit like airbrakes on the wing of a SBD Dive bomber. I've positioned them closed to the side of the afterburner, my model is depicted shut down on the pan, so I'm not sure if they would be open or closed, as the pilots gone in for tea and biccies.
reverse thrust.jpg

does look pretty swift though. looks fast, even standing still.
DSC05804.jpg

I've positioned them closed to the side of the afterburner, my model is depicted shut down on the pan, so I'm not sure if they would be open or closed, as the pilots gone in for tea and biccies.
1621346008568.png

1621346037221.png

1621346088751.png

Air brakes closed when parked up and it would also be clean unless it was just about to go on a sortie.

Airfix instructions mistake, all parts from sprue A have been fitted, just sprue B left with parts on, the underwing stores, Part B52 is shown as a pylon.
rockets a.jpg

but the actual part B52 turns out to be a sidewinder missile tail fin.
parts B52.jpg

mainly Rockets, and sidewinders at the wing tips, presumably fired in battery to maintain in flight stability.
rockets a.jpg

Stores, canopy and decals fitted up. needs a coat of varnish when the decals dry, then it's done, just the concrete base and glass to order for it, always order my glass in batches, Ford 40 Coupe,M3 Grant, M3 Lee CDL and now the Saab. Two more to go so I can order it in a worthwhile batch.
decals on.jpg

Last edited:
I might well be having a go at this vintage re-release by Revell.
box art.jpg

the kit looks very much of it's time. Very old fashioned. But not without it's pluses.
lid off the box.jpg

it all depends on this, the windscreen, the glazing was not supplied back then, you had to make your own, a wrap around windscreen, if I can make one, I'll finish the kit.
windscreen frame.jpg

not as hard as I thought it was going to be, that said, it hasn't dried yet. I'd better start a new build thread on it as it's a runner.
wrap around windscreen a.jpg

Latest Threads