SAA Guru advice: SUSAT

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by BLOODY_TIPRAT, Aug 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning Chaps,

Hopefully a straight forward question.

What is the minimum range that a personal weapon fitted with a SUSAT can be zeroed is it 100 meters or can it be done on a 25m???

Your help is appreciated.

B_T

2. A rough zero can be obtained @ 25m - more for windage than elevation (left to right).

However if you zero elevation @ 25m you will be miles out when going onto range at a later stage and will likely be hitting so low @ 100m you may be unable to spot fall of shot.

3. I am certain that the small arms people have produced a correct zero point for 25 metres that will give you an accurate zero for shooting at longer ranges. I can remember applying the principle to the SLR and I cannot imagine the technique has been forgotten.

4. There is indeed a correct zero position for the susat at 25m.

With the susat set to 300m, firing at 25m, the CZP is 22mm below the POA....

Hope this helps! :D

• Like Like x 2
  5. It's also worth noting that a lot of Barracks ranges are 30m, not 25m. Before anyone gets too obsessed with trying to adjust from 15mm low to 22mm low, it's worth actually measuring the range...

...especially as the correct POA goes from >40mm below the POA at 0m, to 22mm below at 25m, to "on PAO" somewhere between 40 and 50m, to "90mm above" at 100m.

(As I've mentioned before, a lot of people got caught out by ranges that converted from "300yd" to "300m" by the simple expedient of repainting the signs on each firing point - namely, Pirbright. Note that Century range at Bisley is 600yds, not 600m - makes a difference to your LSW gunners)

At a wild guess, as a straight-line approximation, the correct figure for a 30m range would be about 15mm low; but I'd suggest that it be taken with a pinch of salt...

6. Have to admit, I never knew that....Something for me to bear in mind next time the mob is on the range!

7. Off the top of my head, the difference between 600yds and 600m will give something like 50mm difference in the height of the strike. Wouldn't this be more of concern to a sniper, rather than a LSW gunner?

And even then, in an operational environment, the range would be guessed anyway.

8. Only decent comparative table I could find with a short search: http://www.65grendel.com/graphics/grendelballistics.pdf
    The drop between 500m (50cm) and 600m (100cm) is significant - if the target isn't standing up, you'll miss.

...and another big difference will be in the windage....

True. Unless you've got a friendly rangefinder, and a well-written range card...

Tracer! The answer to almost all your problems :) It's not that different a trajectory from ball ammunition, after all :)

But yes, all my comments are Gravelbelly-based, as Puttees has correctly pointed out. Going back to the original point, if you want as accurate a zero as you can on a Barracks range, working to the 22mm figure, make damn sure you're firing at 25m - because otherwise you'll be well out in elevation.

:) Personally, zeroing at 100m is all very well, but it's nice to check the 300m zero by firing at 300m :)

For the truly curious, try: http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm

9. Thanks for all your comments fellas.

In summary then.

A 25m zeroing is posssible but it is best practice to to a 100 meter zeroing with a 300 m confidence check shoot.

Cheers,

B_T

10. Indeed. And I (for one) would be interested to hear the results of anyone who has correctly zeroed at 100m, who then took their rifle onto a 25m and then to a 30m firing point....

...and from anyone who was willing to share their ARA Match 17 (FIBUA Match) aiming points - it's fired at 25m, 50m, 75m, and 100m, so we only need to get the figures for the middle two ranges :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. 100m & 75m centre of mass. 25 & 50m I set sight to 400 and keep the same poa as the difference in elevation means that at 25m wherever you aim is where the round lands try it nxt time and u will be suprised!

12. I had mine set at 300m with my aiming points being initially as:

100m Groin

75m Groin

50m Helmet rim

25m Mouth

I then tweaked from there after my first training shoot.

13. A simple answer to your question is yes it can. At 25M the CZP is 22mm below the POA. Remember that the adjustment on your SUSAT is 13mm per "click".

Hope that helps.

14. Hope this helps

copy this and place it your flap book

[​IMG]

15. Having fired it recently (with a decent score), i hope the following helps:

100m - Standing supported - 1/2 way between the groin and center of fig 11.
    75m - kneeling supported - base of blue circle fig 11
    50m - standing and kneeling - point of aim, point of impact (fig 14)
    25m - standing - rim of helmet fig 14

Caveat:
    1. People's PoA will differ; size, hold of weapon, etc.
    2. The above is based on scoring areas; i refer you to pam 20 for these (cant be arrsed at the mo).
    3. At 25m, setting your sights to 400m should give PoA/PoI; the shoot is a bit schnell and, in reallity, you are unlikely to have the time/mentality to adjust your sights if terry pops out in front of you at the range.

Personally, i'm a big fan of zero at 100 and check PoA from 25 - 500m (huge difference for me between 400 - 500m), athough the 22mm below the PoA at 25m does work to some degree, although as has been said the difference between 300m and 300y is quite dramatic. if you know you will be firing on a yard range, i would suggest that you zero, at 100m, 60mm above PoA not 90mm.

Hope this helps.

Also check the PoA in different positions at each range. most impotantly, MAKE A RECORD of it for referal