Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by CombatBooBah, Dec 3, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. anyone know if the cutdown sa80 carbine is actually going to be issued?
    somebody is saying on another forum that the RAC are going to get over
    1000 of them anybody know if its true?
  2. and the ams is taking an interest.
    when it was origially planed it wasn't adopted for technical reasons considering the techincal problems with Sa80a1 thats saying something.

why not just issue a proper smg Like the MP5?
  3. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

'Tis true, see this months Soldier mag.

At a guess, one of the main reasons for having a SA80 variant rather than another SMG would be interchangable parts / common training.

Have hope, up to the trigger its the same as the A2 - which has not received any of the grim feedback reserved for the A1!
  4. they also have to do somwthing with all the surplus SA80's they have and can't give away.
  5. Surely all surplus A1's will be donated to UOTCs and Cadet units?
  6. Here's a pic...

Looks even worse than the normal SA80.
  7. Aye, it looks well ugly.

However it looks like U_Q's point about interchangable parts is only going to apply to the working parts.

MP5 would make a much better replacement.

8. msr

msr LE

9. What an ugly looking rifle.

Would be intrigued to see the gas parts.

I bet it will smart like hell if you haven't got hold of that foregrip properly, little to close to the business end for my liking.

Still got a decent barrle length mind, has anybody had a play yet?
  10. Looks like we know what happened to all of the nasty A1's now.

They sent them, and a pack of hacksaw blades, to Shotgun and his gay band of merry men in the REME and said "oi, make gun fit tank" and hey presto, there it was :D
  11. Once all the A2's have been rolled out, the A1's will get the change lever cut off and then moved to cadet units.....

This is good news, because then Cadet units will have a weapon that will fit a BFA thus allowing us as Cadets Instructors to teach section battle drills that include the attack rether then the "stop 100m before the enemy position and UNLOAD"!!!!!! - and thius can only help the Cadets if they then go on to join the real army.....?????

But then again, Labour might decide at the last moment to stop all the above, and re-intreduce the A1's as A3's in around 2010 as the NEW INFANTRY WEAPON - They would hope by then that everone that remembers the A1 from first time around will have left :)
  12. I thought the cadet GP was the same as A1 minus gasparts? Can it really not fit the BFA?

13. The barrel has no flash eliminator, so no-where for the BFA to fit.
  14. interesting i was told the ACF wern't allowed automatic weapons. except for the LSW in my day the Bren and you wern't allowed live or blank for the bren till you were at least a 3 star.
  15. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

Soldier mag say that soldiers using it will be issued 2 20 round and 2 30 round magazines. Is there really a requirement for a 20 round magazine? Is it that much of an embuggerance in a vehicle?

ORG, did you earn all those medals? :roll: