SA80A2 reliability

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Unknown_Quantity, Feb 6, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/01/22/nirq122.xml

Does anyone know if this story concerns the SA80A2?

2. well the theatre weapon was the A2

3. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

I thoughts so, but wasn't there so didn't want to make assumptions.

I thought the general view of the A2 was that it was excellent and few problems were encountered. How did this (if true as descibed) not make national news? Or did I miss it that day?

4. IMHO its still an SA80 under all the mods the inf board would probably give you a better idea.

5. i'm only at sandhurst but we've had the a2 for 6 months. i've never had a live stoppage with it yet but plenty with blanks. i reckon the blanks are shit, not enough charge to recock the weapon. as for people complaining, its generally jack buggers who don't bother oiling their rifles. plenty of jack bastards at sandhurst.

6. Where the hell did they come up with that? I know of noone in the regiment who had to use an enemies weapon as their own jammed, and the above article is the first I've heard. We used the A2 which performed admirably and above all of our expectations.
    Only AK's which were used was in the keeping down of the dog population during the PSO phase.

7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Bit of a downer when shooter squeezes the trigger, wpn goes BANG ! then shooter thinks, "Wow - didn't expect that !"

:wink:

8. Havent had to use my a2 in anger .But had a couple of stoppages on range so dont really see any improvement from a1 I'll take other peoples word thats it an improvement . But over a 72hour period of rain
    when my weapon was loaded at all times so i couldnt clean it just wipe it down and apply more oil the safety catch was so rusty i had problem taking it off and according to papers i,m not the only one

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

:lol: :lol: :lol:

10. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Apparently the Mk 1 is better for use in fake photos.

Particularly if its in a drill hall in UK rather than Basrah.

11. One thing though - a weapon that fires reliably only if oiled properly - isn't reliable.

The old AK will fire when rusty, full of crap, after being dropped into mud, sand , sh@te, stood on, trampled by runaway elephants ... well, maybe not the last but you get the picture. I've seen film of AKs so bad that the owner had to stand on the lever to cock it - and it still works.

That is the gold standard for weapon reliability. Does the SA80 A2 meet it ? I think not. Whining that in case of failure the owner didn't take care of it misses the point completely. If a 60 year old design will work with zero maintenance then I think that modern designs should as well.

12. So a reliable car will run on no oil then? Bollocks.

13. If you wonder what the asterix was - it was c0ck - zero used to evade the word filter in place. I'll use make ready next time.

Anyway, I'll say it again:

60 year old design plus no oil = working weapon
    "modern" design plus no oil = ornament

I know which I would award the designation reliable to.

And while I'm at it I'd refer the previous poster to the research underway in the motor industry aimed at an engine that is sealed for life - ie no oil change, no maintenance, no nothing. I'd also point out the increases in mileage between services seen in cars as they become more reliable.

14. I'm in total agreement: the AK can't be faulted for reliability, though it does have shortcomings in terms of accuracy and handling. Personally, having been trained originally on the SLR, that remains my 'ideal' infantry rifle.

15. Interesting pic on the BBC news website today. Is this the grenade version?

[​IMG]