SA80A2 being issued to cadet detachments

Discussion in 'ACF' started by wildcard.rgbw, Jan 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is their any truth to a murmum I got from my CO (I'm a CI in the ATC) that cadet will be getting access to the SA80-A2?

I know they use the LSW but the SA80A2 itself?

2. You never know..its possible.......you get the A2 and then a lovely annual camp to somewhere hot and sandy!!!!

3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

far as i know, its not the full a2, its a semi automatic version.

4. As far as I knew, their is no semi-only version of the A2, there is however a conversion kit for the L98 to make that semi

5. In my county, annual camp 2008 14 ctt managed to get hold of some A2's for the senior cadre's field phase, provided they all passed WHT's etc, and all cadets using them were given range time beforehand. However, I have been told that that sort of thing will not be happening again as the top brass deemed it to be 'too much like the real thing'- a fallacy IMHO.

sorry did I go off one one a bit there? :p

hope this helps,

CB

6. Was just curious... having my interview tomorrow night for becoming an ACF instructor :) I argued to the squadron leader that I have more than enough time for the 2 of them.

7. The ACF has gone over to the L98 A2, which is the SA80 A2 minus the fire change lever. Other than that there is no difference.

8. The new Cadet rifle IS a semi auto version of the A2. It is already widely on issue.

9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The conversion kit is a .22 conversion for indoor range,it has been withdrawn from service ages ago.
    When I did my short range course a couple years back,I was the only one who knew how to use it! Not even the instructors knew!! 8O

10. The HK conversion kit (.22) was re-called at the same time as the A1s,for us that was May last year. Hope they get MOD'd and sent back to us soon.

11. They are not getting modified as far as I know but i'm sure someone will tell me I am wrong. :roll:

12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Correct,they're being binned as they're incompatable with the A2 & to make one for the A2 is too expensive.

13. Of course issuing them with A1s for dedicated use as .22 would be far too sensible.....

14. What happened to the No.8 rifle? Did that get taken back at some point?

15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Not to my knowledge,we still have them here in NI.