SA80: Who else uses it?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Maybe aq better question would be that in its new iteration of the A2, would we recommend it to other countries?

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Yep, some were sold (according to an old mate who had the misfortune to be on the'sales team' for the SA80 and LAW in the '90s) to the Mozambique Defence Force, and the Papua New Guinea Defence Force. In neither case did the recipients actually pay us any money!No other Country would touch them, not even the Irish or the Kiwis, who both sensibly opted for the Steyr AUG.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The A1 was sold to Oman in the early 90's......they ditched it ( which was very helpful to the "M16-its-great-and-the-Yanks-are-GIVING-them-away / Let's buy Stehr AUG " lobby.

Jamaican Defence Force have some.

If I was the marketing guy at BAeS charged with flogging it I would re-brand it the " Heckler & Koch A2 5.56mm Assault System - Combat proven " or some such....

The trouble is since all the old salts who'd worked at Enfield went ,not many people in BAeS know anything about small arms....and , of course it is damn nearly an American company these days....

As I said, the people to ask if the weapon is any good are 3 Para.....

( and if I hear ' if it's so good why don't THEY use it? " one more time I'll come and barf over your Dennison smock ! The SBS ethos was always
' take what you think you need to get the job done- if that means the coal hatchet fair go ")

Le Chevre

I agree with Goatman. Rebranding the A2 was a missed opportunity. Black or even DPM furniture and a new name (SA2000, Millennium Edition….) would have distanced it from its Woolworths’ toy-shelf predecessor. We now have a fair weapon (yes, there are better out there but cost is a factor) but it is saddled with an underserved reputation.

Battlestar Galactica Season 2, episodes titled 'Resistance'.
Bit like the old SMGs being used with the stocks folded as stormtroopers weapons in Star Wars!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Filbert Fox said:
Battlestar Galactica Season 2, episodes titled 'Resistance'.
Bit like the old SMGs being used with the stocks folded as stormtroopers weapons in Star Wars!
Ahhh...the good old Sterling ! LOVED that thing.....never had to use it in anger though.....shame it was only 9mm.

( hmmm wonder if you could move the magazine port anti-clockwise 90 degrees and fit a C-Max 50 round drum magazine to it? :twisted: )

Le Chevre

Good point Goatman.....Quote...

If I was the marketing guy at BAeS charged with flogging it I would re-brand it the " Heckler & Koch A2 5.56mm Assault System - Combat proven " or some such....

Might as well as all the working parts have HK Stamped on them.... :!:

Just turn the weapon through 90 degrees! Double whammy of fitting your big magazine and getting to shoot gangsta style with the pistol grip side on!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Horridlittleman said:
Just turn the weapon through 90 degrees! Double whammy of fitting your big magazine and getting to shoot gangsta style with the pistol grip side on!
I remember floating over to the Royal Ordnance plc stand at BAEE in ...ooohh...1990 ish...they were demo'ing a cut down version of the Sterling which they called the Para pistol IIRC .....designed to be fired one-handed and fired 12 rounds full auto in about 2 seconds....sort of a British version of the Skorpion...bloke demo'ing it could clear his coat to the aim ( despite the mag sticking out at 90 degrees) VER' quickly....

(ahem...I was also magnetically attracted to the Gulf-market-only gold-plated smg with ivory furniture....:-D....hey those wacky arms-dealers of my misspent youth.......crazy people !....)

Lee Shaver

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ned_Seagoon said:
I agree with Goatman. Rebranding the A2 was a missed opportunity. Black or even DPM furniture and a new name (SA2000, Millennium Edition….) would have distanced it from its Woolworths’ toy-shelf predecessor. We now have a fair weapon (yes, there are better out there but cost is a factor) but it is saddled with an underserved reputation.
Yeah, wouldn't want to save any money on something that would do the job as well or better, eh ?

A long time ago Soldier magazine did a story of gurkhas visiting South Korea (from HK) as part of a guard, I got the impression from the article it was a regular thing but as I say it was years ago.

Anyway the South Korean Army members of the guard had SA80's as well. I seriously doubt if there were any large scale sales (if any) to that nation though.

The Romanian Navy have some.

Even two British Army units the Falklands Islands Defence Force (Aug) and the Royal Bermuda Regiment (Ruger Mini 14) dont use them.

Not really into guns, so thats all I can offer.

Cardinal

Cardinal said:
A long time ago Soldier magazine did a story of gurkhas visiting South Korea (from HK) as part of a guard, I got the impression from the article it was a regular thing but as I say it was years ago.

Anyway the South Korean Army members of the guard had SA80's as well. I seriously doubt if there were any large scale sales (if any) to that nation though.

The Romanian Navy have some.

Even two British Army units the Falklands Islands Defence Force (Aug) and the Royal Bermuda Regiment (Ruger Mini 14) dont use them.

Not really into guns, so thats all I can offer.

Cardinal
How long has the Royal Bermuda Regiment been a unit of the British Army??

No one who has any choice wants it .Wether that is just to look ally or a sound descion is beyond my experince .A1 pile of pooh .A2 completly diffrent weapon.LSW an odd thing .