SA80: Who else uses it?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by fingers_1661, Oct 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With so many photos/debates on the SA80 in its various guises i'm curious to know if we managed to sell it to any other Armies/Governments...?

2. Arent there some in use in Zimbabwe?

3. Didn't the jamaicans buy some?

4. We gave some free to the Romanian Navy with a couple of old frigates they bought.

5. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

No I think it's Kenya thats got them enough to equip a Coy/Reg but thats abou it

6. Hollywood use 'em as they look futuristic

7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Maybe aq better question would be that in its new iteration of the A2, would we recommend it to other countries?

8. FRELIMO used them in Mozambique at somestage.

9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Yep, some were sold (according to an old mate who had the misfortune to be on the'sales team' for the SA80 and LAW in the '90s) to the Mozambique Defence Force, and the Papua New Guinea Defence Force. In neither case did the recipients actually pay us any money!No other Country would touch them, not even the Irish or the Kiwis, who both sensibly opted for the Steyr AUG.

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

The A1 was sold to Oman in the early 90's......they ditched it ( which was very helpful to the "M16-its-great-and-the-Yanks-are-GIVING-them-away / Let's buy Stehr AUG " lobby.

Jamaican Defence Force have some.

If I was the marketing guy at BAeS charged with flogging it I would re-brand it the " Heckler & Koch A2 5.56mm Assault System - Combat proven " or some such....

The trouble is since all the old salts who'd worked at Enfield went ,not many people in BAeS know anything about small arms....and , of course it is damn nearly an American company these days....

As I said, the people to ask if the weapon is any good are 3 Para.....

( and if I hear ' if it's so good why don't THEY use it? " one more time I'll come and barf over your Dennison smock ! The SBS ethos was always
    ' take what you think you need to get the job done- if that means the coal hatchet fair go ")

Le Chevre

11. I agree with Goatman. Rebranding the A2 was a missed opportunity. Black or even DPM furniture and a new name (SA2000, Millennium Edition….) would have distanced it from its Woolworths’ toy-shelf predecessor. We now have a fair weapon (yes, there are better out there but cost is a factor) but it is saddled with an underserved reputation.

12. Battlestar Galactica Season 2, episodes titled 'Resistance'.
    Bit like the old SMGs being used with the stocks folded as stormtroopers weapons in Star Wars!

13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Ahhh...the good old Sterling ! LOVED that thing.....never had to use it in anger though.....shame it was only 9mm.

( hmmm wonder if you could move the magazine port anti-clockwise 90 degrees and fit a C-Max 50 round drum magazine to it? :twisted: )

Le Chevre

14. Good point Goatman.....Quote...

If I was the marketing guy at BAeS charged with flogging it I would re-brand it the " Heckler & Koch A2 5.56mm Assault System - Combat proven " or some such....

Might as well as all the working parts have HK Stamped on them.... :!:

15. Just turn the weapon through 90 degrees! Double whammy of fitting your big magazine and getting to shoot gangsta style with the pistol grip side on!