SA80: top of the pile!!

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Skinn_Full, Aug 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I personally wasn't aware of this, so apologies if its been done, skimmed from wiki. I was quite surprised, considering the competition. I dont know where these trials were conducted or by whom (maybe someone else does!), interesting none the less. Your thoughts gentlemen....

In 1997 the SA80 was dropped from NATO's list of approved weapons, following which an upgrade programme was started. In 2000 Heckler & Koch, at that time owned by Royal Ordnance, were contracted to fix the problems. Two hundred thousand SA80s were remanufactured at a cost of £400 each producing the A2 variant of the weapon. By 2002 the upgraded versions were deployed in first line formations. The upgrade involved replacement of many internal parts and has vastly increased reliability, to the point of making it one of the most reliable of bullpup configuration weapons.

In March 2005, the L85A2 was put through its paces against the M16, M4, AK-101, FAMAS G2 and G36E modern rifles. [citation needed] It outperformed all of them in accuracy (even without the SUSATs), reload speed (physically changing magazine on the move and static) and usability in urban and close-quarters combat (because of its shorter overall length and the ability to affix a bayonet). A2 upgraded versions also have a higher muzzle velocity. The AK-101 won reliability on multiple terrain, weather and climatic scenarios. The ranks in the test were:

1.SA80
    2.G36E
    3.M16 family
    4.AK-101
    5.FAMAS G2

Source: Wikipedia-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SA80

2. SA80 - best in the world!

3. Stop calling it the bloody SA80
    the SA80 was the first variant it is now called the L85a2 the SA80 was the first of the production line think windowsV2 being compared to windows xp.

rant over,

Armadillo

4. Which pile would that be?
    A big brown festering steaming pile?
    I assume this testing included firing round a left hand corner...or ambidextrous firing.

5. The A2 upgrade has been a revelation. There's little problem in getting 5 from 5 at 400m, stoppages are rare (obviously there are issues with blanks, certainly as you come to the end of the magazine, but who cares about that?), and overall I think that they are good bits of kit. Too many people jump on the media's bandwagon, as they try to slag off any bit of army kit that's not absolutely amazing. I think the A2 and SUSAT are gleaming.

6. Totally agree with you SWEDE to many people jump on the band wagon
    in slagging the a2 off . Its never let me down .

7. I'm no steely eyed dealer of death, but I felt that I couldn't fully trust the A1 to go bang everytime. The A2 has been spot on - never had a single stoppage and it's totally restored my faith in the rifle.

8. scaley fins dont run your self down mate , if thats what you feel when you
    sign your gat from the armoury , then thats what you feel . I agree.

9. the A1 never let me down (nor did the SLR!) - just didn't like the way it rattled after a few years service

10. The cocking handle's still on the wrong side. :? Was the fabulous (if idoitic-looking) Steyr AUG included in the test?

11. A bit over the top I feel. I don't know of anyone who can legitimately question the capability of the A2.

I can see your point about ambidextrous firing, however if a test was included about firing around a left hand corner there wouldn't be an issue. It may be a drama with right hand corners! However I've not heard of patrols in Basra et al being re-routed to take account of this issue!

12. The cocking handle's on the correct side. If it was on the other side then everybody would have to fire left handed!

13. or have false teeth

14. It's a fecking SA80 - end of.

You don't change names of weapons in the army on upgrade.

15. The SA80 is the family, it came in as the IW and LSW. But most call it teh SA80.

edited because