SA80 Suppressor

Surely all weapons make a noise when the working parts come forward/ backward. Does that make all silencers pointless?

P

PrinceAlbert

Rawr said:
Surely all weapons make a noise when the working parts come forward/ backward. Does that make all silencers pointless?
Not at all. A silenced .22 subsonic round (not a crappy air rifle pellet) a proper cased .22 round, is as silent as you'll get. An auto .22 is a great weapon at close quarters with minimal give away.

Yes well we can imagine all long rifles making a substantial noise with regards to their moving parts, I was wondering if anyone had ever seen one as I thought the guy who wrote this had wrote it p**sed off his face and used photoshop :roll:

Interesting guide, this guide was written back in 2002 from the post date and its showing additional models of the SA80, a "carbine" model and a "tank model" which looks an early prototype

I am no sound engineer but recently a suppressor maker friend of mine did some testing at my private range for a number of long gun suppressors for 5.56 and 7.62X51.

Rifles included M16 DMR, M4, M40A1, L96 , Sig SSG3000 and SG550.

The average Db reduction was between 35-40. With supersonic ammo, this reduced the report of the shot fairly significantly (perceived sound at firing point) but the crack of the round going downrange was unaffected. The value of the suppressor (as in the case of any military suppressor even using subsonic ammo) is to eliminate flash and reduce and disguise the report of the shot (not totally eliminate it) and thereby make locating the shooter on the basis of sight or sound more difficult. Merely hearing the supersonic crack of the round is not as helpful in locating the source of the shot, depending also on the actual location of the observer in relation to the shooter.

FA556-212

For 5.56 mm (.223 caliber) rifles and carbines. End-mount design permits use on firearms with short barrel length forward of front sight/gas port. Compact size provides short overall weapon length. Adapters available for Colt Commando, M4, M16, HK 416, Diemaco SFW, SA-80, and other firearms threaded to accept a SureFire suppressor adapter. Adapters for this suppressor vary in compatibility with U.S. military bayonet, blank firing attachment, and M203 grenade launcher -- verify before ordering. Adapter required for attachment to all firearms.
http://www.surefire.com/FA556-212-Suppressor

SAI is a Danish based company dedicated to design and manufacture of firearms sound suppressors.

The M80 - named after the prototype version for British Army SA80 (SAI model 80) - has been developed in close conjunction with Danish army and with extreme testing of durability etc. So far, the M80 are made in 4 versions optimized for different uses and different end user needs;

M80 sound suppressors for AR15 type weapon platform

- A slightly longer version M80L (Lang = long) optimized for range use, night time shooting and 'green army' use;

- The standard M80K (kort/kurz = short) optimized for operational use - both 'green army' and special forces all day and night uses;

NATO Stock Number: 1005-22-615-7833

- A very short version M80 CQS 50 (close quarter suppressor) for close quarter combat situations by Special Forces and specialized police units. (Available in 40mm also) The CQS 50 is most widely in use - with personal 'Protection Teams' / VIP protection units, using very short carbine rifles in and from vehicles.

M80CQS - 50mm: NATO Stock Number: 1005-22-615-7834

Technical data: M80 products
Model: M80 L M80 K M80 CQS 50 M80 CQS 40
Calibre: 5.56 NATO (.223)

Rated for single shot, burst and continued shooting.
- " - - " - - " -
Diameter: 40 mm (1.57 inches) 40mm

/ 1.57 inches
50mm

/ 1.97 inches
40mm

/ 1.57 inches
Length: 192 mm (7.56 inches) 170mm

/ 6.69 inches
120mm

/ 4.72 inches
120mm

/ 4.72 inches
Extending weapon: 154 mm (6.06 inches) 132mm

/ 5.2 inches
82mm

/ 3.23 inches
82mm

/ 3.23 inches
Weight: 650 g (22.92 ounce (US) / 20.98 ounce GB) 618g

/21.8 ounces US
658g

/23.2 ounces US
455g

/16.05 ounces US
Materials used: Steel and Stainless steel - " - - " - - " -
Surface treatment: Sandblasting of outer casing to ensure a non glare finish Hot blueing and hot oil bath treatment. - " - - " - - " -
Fitting:

Thread of choice / On standard Nato type 22mm compensator. (M16A2 bird cage)
- " - - " - - " -
Maintenance: As of weapon - " - - " - - " -

The M80-K and M80-CQS-50 models is in service with the Danish Army, Danish Navy and PET (Danish Security and Intelligence Service).

M80 K: NATO Stock Number: 1005-22-615-7833

M80CQS - 50mm: NATO Stock Number: 1005-22-615-7834

Mr Happy

LE
Seen all those versions of the SA80 before.

The suppressor (not silencer) is good kit. Used extensively on ranges and of course not silent at all. Your armourer should know all about this.

Mr Happy said:
The suppressor (not silencer) is good kit. Used extensively on ranges and of course not silent at all. Your armourer should know all about this.
Why the bloody hell are we expected to know about kit we are never even given a look at. :wink:

vampireuk said:
Mr Happy said:
Why the bloody hell are we expected to know about kit we are never even given a look at. :wink:
Need to know old boy..... :D

vampireuk said:
Mr Happy said:
Read arrse!

FFBox said:
vampireuk said:
Mr Happy said:
Read arrse!
Or move to the US and you can buy your own (at least for now...)

Mr Happy said:
Seen all those versions of the SA80 before.

We TA tend to get taught the bare neccesities of life; a suppressor sounds a little "extreme extra" to me :)

jumpinjarhead said:
FFBox said:
vampireuk said:
Mr Happy said:
Read arrse!
Perfect for not waking the neighbors up when on the range at night!

wildcard.rgbw said:
jumpinjarhead said:
FFBox said:
vampireuk said:
Mr Happy said:
Read arrse!
Perfect for not waking the neighbors up when on the range at night!
:D They are also great for teaching novices marksmanship where they are still reacting to the "sound and fury" of the weapon. I have 6 at present:

2-- .22LR for pistols (extremely quiet using subsonic ammo and holding bolt in battery with thumb to avoid noise of cycling action--technique THEY (the US THEY) taught my boys for silently eliminating "guard geese" at a particular target years ago))

1 for my HK .45 USP Compact

1 for my M4 (in stainless steel for full auto use)

2 for my UZI (9mm and .45 ACP)

I'm not sure exactly what affect a sound moderator would have on an SA80, but it would still make a bang which would hide the sound of the working parts. Many years ago I fired a moderated HK sub machine gun. Great fun and was about as loud as a 22LR, I assume a 5.56 weapon would be a shade louder.

Even more years back a mate made a sound moderator for a 22 pistol. The device was about as long as the pistol ,but it did the biz, all that could be heard was the slide moving backwords and forwards, eary.

Drlligaf said:
I'm not sure exactly what affect a sound moderator would have on an SA80, but it would still make a bang which would hide the sound of the working parts. Many years ago I fired a moderated HK sub machine gun. Great fun and was about as loud as a 22LR, I assume a 5.56 weapon would be a shade louder.

Even more years back a mate made a sound moderator for a 22 pistol. The device was about as long as the pistol ,but it did the biz, all that could be heard was the slide moving backwords and forwards, eary.
With my students at the range I have to constantly remind them of the lethality of the weapons.

Rawr said:
A suppressed weapon and a silenced weapon are two totally different things.