SA80 Replacement on the distant horizon ?

tgo

LE
It's a big ol unit, reminds me of how the early laser sights were massive and now have shrunk significantly, hopefully the same will happen with this next gen fire control system.

I'd put a cheeky 10 pence on the rest of the contenders being engaged in a time wasting exercise.
Skinflint.

I'd put a tenner on the final selection (however good) being a waste of taxpayer's money, if the soldiers issued with it are never trained to to use it to good effect . . . . .

Shandy123

War Hero
I did hear a horrible rumour that the new system won't be a 100% roll out with supporting arms keeping the A3.
Hopefully a nasty rumour or an interim measure at most.
Ah, that explains why, 3 days into my recent exercise, I realised that I was lugging an A3 about (I'm a REMFy STAB).
I only noticed because it said 'A3' on the butt, where it usually says 'A2'. There wasn't much visually different on closer inspection.
It looked like the 'monkey's butt' is a bit different and the weld pattern on the free floating barrel/upper TMH is different. Also some odd looking armourer's marks. Other than that no difference. The furniture all looks the same to me. Still got a SUSAT on too.

Attachments

• 20211003_085832.jpg
    20211003_085832.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
  • 20211003_085923.jpg
    20211003_085923.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 78

gafkiwi

War Hero
Skinflint.

I'd put a tenner on the final selection (however good) being a waste of taxpayer's money, if the soldiers issued with it are never trained to to use it to good effect . . . . .
A lot of the money, R&D and technology seems to be around trying to mitigate what is a essentially training deficit. If soldiers are producing crap results now they'll likely do the same just in other ways.

Aside from the NGSW program, there will be some good ideas and advances that will no doubt drop out of the program. It remains to be seen if they can be put in to a practical systems that out does what is currently in service.

CC_TA

LE
Ah, that explains why, 3 days into my recent exercise, I realised that I was lugging an A3 about (I'm a REMFy STAB).
I only noticed because it said 'A3' on the butt, where it usually says 'A2'. There wasn't much visually different on closer inspection.
It looked like the 'monkey's butt' is a bit different and the weld pattern on the free floating barrel/upper TMH is different. Also some odd looking armourer's marks. Other than that no difference. The furniture all looks the same to me. Still got a SUSAT on too.
The one marked 'A3' you've been luging about isn't an A3.

That's an A2 with the longer SUSAT rail to take a picatinny adapter to accept an LDS.

A3 has a full picatinny sight rail and a new style hand guard.

Shandy123

War Hero
The one marked 'A3' you've been luging about isn't an A3.

That's an A2 with the longer SUSAT rail to take a picatinny adapter to accept an LDS.

A3 has a full picatinny sight rail and a new style hand guard.
Well that's just not cricket. I'm very confused now. Why the hell is it marked A3 then?

A lot of the money, R&D and technology seems to be around trying to mitigate what is a essentially training deficit.
Correct.

A small army with limited funds, led by truly intelligent professional officers who knew how infantry fighting works, could (surely?) up its game, and spend its money better, by simply ensuring that soldiers are really trained to shoot effectively under fire (as opposed to 'how to operate their weapon')

Shandy123

War Hero
Oooh, that's sexy. Yes, deffo nothing like mine. But to further confuse matters, I was given an oppo from another unit, who's A2 was different again- he had a one-colour hand guard, all sandy coloured. He wasn't keen to swap with me, despite my logical "but mines stamped 'A3' "approach.
However, I do now kinda get what you're saying about mine being an A2 that's borrowed a bit of an A3 to allow for a longer picatinny rail, that I'll never have cause to use...

CC_TA

LE
Oooh, that's sexy. Yes, deffo nothing like mine. But to further confuse matters, I was given an oppo from another unit, who's A2 was different again- he had a one-colour hand guard, all sandy coloured. He wasn't keen to swap with me, despite my logical "but mines stamped 'A3' "approach.
However, I do now kinda get what you're saying about mine being an A2 that's borrowed a bit of an A3 to allow for a longer picatinny rail, that I'll never have cause to use...
The bit you have that's marked 'A3' isn't part of the A3 at all - All A3s are FDE coloured (Apart from BRL, HG & plastic.) different welding, ground down gas block that's not attached to the hand guard, it has a barrel shroud that slightly scuppers / UGL fitting, and proposed new UGL fitting is scuppered by new - newer hand guard.

Shandy123

War Hero
You're losing me with all the TLAs...

Shandy123

War Hero
Thank you.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
FDE federal dark earth (paint)
BRL barrel
HG hand guard
UGL butt plug launcher
What happened to "flat dark earth" and "bbl" (apart from Brazilian butt lift) ?

TamH70

MIA

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Flat / federal - either way; grotty brown.

Come to think of it federal might have been a sharpshooter variant colour.
As a colour no-one I know or have spoken to has ever heard of that description.
Sure you're not confused by an ammunition producer ?

CC_TA

LE
As a colour no-one I know or have spoken to has ever heard of that description.
Sure you're not confused by an ammunition producer ?
Could be, I get confused a lot.
Too many tabs open in my head and not enough room on my 'desktop'

fde.jpg

Probably where I was getting confuzzled.

Last edited:

FEASG

LE
He probably saw the rust on yours!

Latest Threads