SA80 Replacement on the distant horizon ?

Shades of Umboto gorge, battling a rampaging horde armed with sharpened guava fruit?
Don't want to give you flashbacks! :twisted:

Funny you should say that, because there was a young infantry officer who won the Queen's Medal, then spent the next decade on the podium (mixed in with the Gurkhas, etc) - in terms of performance, Gus was the most consistent Service Rifle competitor of his era. Go take a look at the ARA boards in the ATSC dining room, next time you're at Bisley...

So of course, they sent him to ITDU to do small-arms stuff (granted, they also sent him to Porton Down, the UDR, etc, etc) and he once mentioned in passing that he'd probably fired 50,000 rounds that year through various weaponry.

Somehow he managed not to get bored with it, and has since managed a medal at a Commonwealth Games in fullbore target rifle. He's very, very good (last time I saw him in the ATSC gun room, he was hand-loading 5.56 for use at long range) and probably the SME for service rifle shooting. Given that he's a couple of years older than me, he's probably retired now...
I love old gits talking weapons.... what this site is supposed to be about.

Last edited:
If the video was on YT I could post it and you'd see what they were trying to achieve and it's completely stupid. They weren't teaching people to shoot standing slowfire for high-level service rifle comps, they were teaching it as *the* technique, doing rapid reloading and stoppage drills and coming in and out of it.
Fascinating :)

If you threw a Swiss unit shooting team into CENTSAM or TASAM as a visiting team, would they demonstrate that it works? Can they actually hit the target? Because that's what matters.

If it's stupid, and it works, it's not stupid...

TamH70

MIA

If you threw a Swiss unit shooting team into CENTSAM or TASAM as a visiting team, would they demonstrate that it works? Can they actually hit the target? Because that's what matters.

Au contraire, Mon Ami. If it's stupid and it works, it's still stupid and you got lucky.

No, cos a) it's not taught any more cos it's stupid, b) there's no such thing as a unit shooting team, c) they've got very, very limited training time, and d) the general standard of marksmanship is *still* crap and they only train prone off the bipod at 300m aside from the very few who shoot the 3-position military match as civilians.

No, cos a) it's not taught any more cos it's stupid, b) there's no such thing as a unit shooting team, c) they've got very, very limited training time, and d) the general standard of marksmanship is *still* crap and they only train prone off the bipod at 300m aside from the very few who shoot the 3-position military match as civilians.
I'm surprised that the whole US 3 gun matches and so forth hasn't become popular in Switzerland!

I'm surprised that the whole US 3 gun matches and so forth hasn't become popular in Switzerland!
Lack of access to suitable ranges.

But you have so many mountains for backstops!
And we have all manner of green regs preventing their use as such, other than the few that the Army have been operating for years, and then you have to apply for access etc. in a way which basically makes it a ballache, so there's only a few comps a year on such ranges.

1633779279634.png

And we have all manner of green regs preventing their use as such, other than the few that the Army have been operating for years, and then you have to apply for access etc. in a way which basically makes it a ballache, so there's only a few comps a year on such ranges.
Awww man! Everywhere sucks these days!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Couple of T&P Vids for you, first one goes more into the new Optics

Second, goes into the CT NSGW Ammo from Textron, which I'm throwing in to round out the 3 competitors, it also has some nice animations showing how the gun operates internally, seems they are using a verticle shuttle approach for the rifle, similar to how the Steyr CT Rifle from the trials in the last century worked, but with a more conventional firing mechanism and bolt (the Steyr did not have this, rather it had a fixed firing pin above the shuttle which struck a primer located in the middle of the CT Round

TamH70

MIA
Couple of T&P Vids for you, first one goes more into the new Optics

Second, goes into the CT NSGW Ammo from Textron, which I'm throwing in to round out the 3 competitors, it also has some nice animations showing how the gun operates internally, seems they are using a verticle shuttle approach for the rifle, similar to how the Steyr CT Rifle from the trials in the last century worked, but with a more conventional firing mechanism and bolt (the Steyr did not have this, rather it had a fixed firing pin above the shuttle which struck a primer located in the middle of the CT Round

Ooh, LSAT, we meet again.

I'd put a cheeky 10 pence on the rest of the contenders being engaged in a time wasting exercise.