SA80 Replacement on the distant horizon ?

TamH70

MIA
Good question - it worked out well for Napoleon after all:

View attachment 550004

Oh....

Those horses are dead because they broke their legs slipping on the snow and ice. The reason for that is that Napoleon didn't bring the right sort of horse-shoes with him on the Russia campaign. Saul David brought that up in his BBC4 documentary, "Bullets, Boots and Bandages: How to Really Win At War" a while back.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Those horses are dead because they broke their legs slipping on the snow and ice. The reason for that is that Napoleon didn't bring the right sort of horse-shoes with him on the Russia campaign. Saul David brought that up in his BBC4 documentary, "Bullets, Boots and Bandages: How to Really Win At War" a while back.
That and having a policy of living off the land which ensured you massively alienated the population and ensured scorched earth on your retreat.

Napoleon a military genius? I don't think so.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hmm. Just did a keyword search for that thingy on Google and I got that page as the first result on Google Chrome.
Same here but I get four-fifths of fokoll.
Your Chrome is shinier than mine.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Er, because 7.62x 39 is to be found in large quantities but appalling quality. The coppery-cased Chinese crap is particularly awful, and is absolutely everywhere (or at least it was a decade or so ago).
You need the FOGB sardine tins.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
You need the FOGB sardine tins.
I am happily in need of nothing but .22LR, .303 & .308. The lack of any straight pulls, in particular AK straight pulls, is not something that keeps me awake at night.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I am happily in need of nothing but .22LR, .303 & .308. The lack of any straight pulls, in particular AK straight pulls, is not something that keeps me awake at night.
I don't have that problem.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
That and having a policy of living off the land which ensured you massively alienated the population and ensured scorched earth on your retreat.

Napoleon a military genius? I don't think so.
"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics..."

Mufulira42

Old-Salt
Possibly a Zastava M92?

zm92-650x232.jpg

The muzzle flash and blast must be horrendous without earplugs

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Found it, banned by Google, pdf only on Bing, Ask gives a link.

One account wont go down well today ..

William Richardson was a common seamen who served in the Royal Navy between 1793 and 1819. Before being impressed into the Navy he served on several merchant vessels, including a slaver. He recorded his impressions of the trade:

Some people in England think that we hunt and catch the slaves ourselves, but this is a mistaken idea, for we get them by barter as follows: their petty kings and traders get them not so much by wars (as is imagined) as by trade and treachery, and when they get a number for sale bring them to the coast and sell them . . . There was one of their petty kings who, when he came on board, would strut along the deck as if he had been one of the greatest men in the world: he was a little fat fellow dressed in a suit of coarse blue cloth edged with something like yellow worsted, but what spoiled all was that he had no shirt, shoes or stockings on, and his naked black feet and legs being dabbed over with mud and salt water, made him a laughingstock to the sailors; but did not put him out of conceit of himself.

One account wont go down well today ..

William Richardson was a common seamen who served in the Royal Navy between 1793 and 1819. Before being impressed into the Navy he served on several merchant vessels, including a slaver. He recorded his impressions of the trade:
I would go so far as to say that the entire contents of that link would not go down well today. The soldiers certainly did not mince their words. Made me laugh.

Pete Cozy

Clanker
Where once the size of bullets got smaller, designed to injure rather than kill, take three Men out by shooting one, overwhelm the Medics, break morale and of course you could carry more ( The G11 is a good idea). This new type of "warfare" needs something heavier, as these "People" do not care about casualties. So, in my unqualified view, HK416 in 7.62 would be the best choice. As a left hander I could just about pass my APWT with the SA80, pissed it with an SLR on iron sights.

Ah the old "designed to injure" chestnut crops up again.

It's designed to put holes into targets, and it does it. Like every type of ammunition it has its upsides and downsides. Especially when looked at in comparison to other types.

gorilla

War Hero
I personally think something like the Desert Tech MDR in a 6mm calibre would be the ideal compromise that would be a good all rounder. They even produce a carbine variant.

Pete Cozy

Clanker
I personally think something like the Desert Tech MDR in a 6mm calibre would be the ideal compromise that would be a good all rounder. They even produce a carbine variant.

Yeah, get some proven COTS kit, but, as always £££ is a consideration, unfortunatley.

dragon825

War Hero
the carbine has just been reworked and released, now called the MDR micron and is a conversion kit for the MDR. in theory you can go from 11.5" barrel in 5.56 to 7.62 20" barrel using the same main body, comes in 6.5 Creedmoor flavour as well.

the carbine has just been reworked and released, now called the MDR micron and is a conversion kit for the MDR. in theory you can go from 11.5" barrel in 5.56 to 7.62 20" barrel using the same main body, comes in 6.5 Creedmoor flavour as well.
The MDR is a neat looking gun. It’s had a few teething problems but most seem to have been rectified. The forward eject mechanism does seem a little finicky for a military rifle, but at least some of the problems seem to stem from the wide variety of ammunition types it has to deal with on the civilian market. A military rifle ought to have a more consistent ammunition supply.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Cute wee thing, I think the conversion kit is a great idea, great modularity. They claim on their website that that its the shortest rifle in the world with an 11.5" barrel, (OR 23.42), so it's is over an inch longer than the L22a2 at 22.2"OR (Barrel Length 11.2"). Damn sight easier to convert though

Latest Threads