SA80 Replacement on the distant horizon ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Another random question - if “living off the land” is going to be a thing, why don’t we buy weapons that can fire 7.62 short, so as to tap into the AK-47/74 logistics train?

longtimeout

War Hero
Another random question - if “living off the land” is going to be a thing, why don’t we buy weapons that can fire 7.62 short, so as to tap into the AK-47/74 logistics train?
If the MOD spends so much time and effort disposing of their own ammunition, because it‘s out of its packaging, I hardly think they‘d base their logistics planning on using ammunition randomly picked up from other people.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
One account described an English soldier stoically having his shattered arm removed in the aftermath of Waterloo, while a wounded Frenchman beside him wailed and screamed, which "seemed to annoy the Englishman more than anything else, and so much so, that as soon as his arm was amputated he struck the Frenchman a sharp blow across the breech with the severed limb, saying "Here, take that, and stuff it down your throat, and stop your damned bellowing!""
"Race, the Nation and the Soldier" ?

Also here:
signal-2021-02-16-112448.jpg

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

TamH70

MIA

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
That cartoon was on the front of my office hard copy of Workplace Risk Assessments, for several years until a senior SHE manager noticed it in passing, and the Fun Police instructed me to remove it....

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Good question - it worked out well for Napoleon after all:

1613475731185.png

Oh....

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Er, because 7.62x 39 is to be found in large quantities but appalling quality. The coppery-cased Chinese crap is particularly awful, and is absolutely everywhere (or at least it was a decade or so ago).