SA80 Replacement on the distant horizon ?

As a corollary, didn't it take about 15 years for the change over from the Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1 to the L1A1 (SLR) from the early 1950s to the late 1960s, across the Services, both regular and reserve units? The roll out of the L85 took the best part a decade; I eventually converted to the L85 (from the SMG) in 1994. So any IWS - once trialled, selected and manufactured - will taken a long time to be issued, especially as we will be going into a period of post-Covid fiscal strangulation.
All the more reason to just gently expand the C8 programme. It can be done piecemeal, enabling continued cannibalisation of the remaining L85 stock to keep a smaller and smaller number of rifles working.

I had a pop on one of those a few years ago - it is a lovely bit of kit. I'm also a fan of 7.62 over 5.56, although I'm sure someone will be along presently to argue that 240 rounds of 5.56 is better than 160 rounds of 7.62, even if the 5.56 didn't get through the sandbag/wall the baddie is behind.

I'm a fan of both - they both have their place in our armoury...

I had a pop on one of those a few years ago - it is a lovely bit of kit. I'm also a fan of 7.62 over 5.56, although I'm sure someone will be along presently to argue that 240 rounds of 5.56 is better than 160 rounds of 7.62, even if the 5.56 didn't get through the sandbag/wall the baddie is behind.

Never soldiered have you?

Any idea as to whether it has been trialled configured for 7.62 (the HK416) as info thus far received is excluvely relating to 5.56?

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

It has been out for ages, it is called the HK417.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
As a corollary, didn't it take about 15 years for the change over from the Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1 to the L1A1 (SLR) from the early 1950s to the late 1960s, across the Services, both regular and reserve units? The roll out of the L85 took the best part a decade; I eventually converted to the L85 (from the SMG) in 1994. So any IWS - once trialled, selected and manufactured - will taken a long time to be issued, especially as we will be going into a period of post-Covid fiscal strangulation.
Both SA80 and SLR in service in GW1.

Both SA80 and SLR in service in GW1.
Last time the BREN got an outing in a warzone too, in the L4 guise on vehicle mounts. Bet inf armed with LSW as their support weapon were eyeing them up jealously...

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
While Stoatman is probably right on the path of least resistance, and Colt Canada have been doing interesting work on developing their rifles (I saw a piece on integral suppressors for service rifles), I think it would be an interesting opportunity to look at the polish Grot Rifle system. If only because it can be arranged as both a bullpup and a conventional rifle with otherwise identical components.

Allegations that I may, in fact, be in the process of acquiring a slightly obscure 80's/90's civvy bullpup are... possibly in fact true...

I doubt there will be a calibre change , the right 5.56 ammunition can do the job.

USMC & US Army don't think so. It's pretty much a reasonable assertation that after combat experience in Iraq & Afghanistan the US want something that can reach out beyond 300m and 5.56mm just doesn't cut it.

While Stoatman is probably right on the path of least resistance, and Colt Canada have been doing interesting work on developing their rifles (I saw a piece on integral suppressors for service rifles), I think it would be an interesting opportunity to look at the polish Grot Rifle system. If only because it can be arranged as both a bullpup and a conventional rifle with otherwise identical components.
Grot you say?

Latest Threads