SA80 Replacement on the distant horizon ?

Isn't the stock answer since the Hereford Gun Club day out in Gibraltar "Because I ran out of ammo"? :???:
"Cos that's when the slide locked back" :D

Isn't the stock answer since the Hereford Gun Club day out in Gibraltar "Because I ran out of ammo"? :???:
1638791387417.png

Here's Hollywood's idea of a gunfight. Note how the bodies will often fly off in the opposite direction when hit, as if propelled by rockets
First saw that in a John Wayne western (whose title I had quite forgot - IMDB confirms it was Rio Lobo). American documentary reporter George Plimpton got himself dressed up as a cowboy, among the 'heavies' and stuntmen enacting a barroom shootout.

The technical arrangements were pretty basic: a hole in the wall of the set (behind George, and out of camerashot) a length of rope clipped to George's back, and a team of burly blokes an electric winch on t'other side of the wall hands on the rope, ready to yank haul the rope when the first shot is fired.

So The Duke draws and some dude wearing pink long johns fires his .45 peacemaker Winchester, the stampede fx man flicks a switch, the winch behind the wall kicks off, and George is whanged like a rag doll 5 - 6 feet backwards into the wall, faster than he'd land after falling off a first-floor balcony, and full-on collapse in a heap ensues.

(Just found it on YewChoob)

He was lucky - they got it in one take . . . . :thumleft:
= = = = = =
Edited (several times) for memory lapses over the half-century since I watched the fillum the first time it was aired in UK :thumright:

Last edited:
One factor is that many folk overestimate their shooting skills: a few opportunities in DCCT-like 'tactical trainers' demonstrate how easily "I fired six shots at short range, there's no way I could have missed" turns into "here's where your shots went, not one of them on target" when you watch the playback.
I happened to be idly browsing Forgotten Weapons and I thought the clip below (kinda) illustrates how difficult it can be - under pressure - for even an experienced shooter to deliver accurate fire. Watch Gun Jesus deliver an extended series of near misses at ~150m.

I happened to be idly browsing Forgotten Weapons and I thought the clip below (kinda) illustrates how difficult it can be - under pressure - for even an experienced shooter to deliver accurate fire. Watch Gun Jesus deliver an extended series of near misses at ~150m.

I was standing behind there watching it happen, and feeling that my thoughts about the FAMAS and its crappy sights were being fully vindicated right there! :razz:

Maalox

On ROPS
On ROPs
An AK47 can take quite a few magazines on full-auto before failing

As can the AR15

How much confidence due you have in the upgraded current SA80 i.e. how many magazines on full-auto before you would expect it to melt/fail: as good as anything else, or sub-par and still marginal?

Did HK re-chrome its barrel?

Mho , is that sustained fire with anything not designed for SF is foolishness.
It will break, AK or not.
You're not supposed to take on vast numbers by yourself with just one rifle for hours on end.
Fully auto will be a great way to waste ammo in anything other than rooms, hallways or narrow alleys IE pretty short range.
A2 is well good enough to get 30-40 aimed shots a minute for long enough to
get out or get heavy stuff in.

TamH70

MIA
I was standing behind there watching it happen, and feeling that my thoughts about the FAMAS and its crappy sights were being fully vindicated right there! :razz:

Iron sights are for those too poor or daft to fit a schmexy optics rail and optical scope, or for those whose fecking SQMS won't issue one's personal SUSAT sight which is the only thing that would guarantee one hitting something at over a hundred metres away.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I hope you weren't too mean to Ian and his Special-education child

Iron sights are for those too poor or daft to fit a schmexy optics rail and optical scope, or for those whose fecking SQMS won't issue one's personal SUSAT sight which is the only thing that would guarantee one hitting something at over a hundred metres away.
Are they not used in the jungle? I've not been.

Did you share that thought with Ian before or after he got over feeling bad about his choice of pistol? ^~
He never got over the bad feeling... He was hoping that the last stage would vindicate .357 Mag, but it didn't! :D

He was quite apologetic about the Browning he loaned me though...

TamH70

MIA
Are they not used in the jungle? I've not been.

Yeah, from what I've read about jungle warfare, employers of the SA80 used iron sights. Mainly because if you're in triple canopy jungle, you can't see any farther than the end of your hand anyway, so what's the point of magnifying that by times four?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah, from what I've read about jungle warfare, employers of the SA80 used iron sights. Mainly because if you're in triple canopy jungle, you can't see any farther than the end of your hand anyway, so what's the point of magnifying that by times four?
Also, with engagement ranges of tens or even single metres you simply don't need it.

huscarl

Old-Salt
Hardly modular.

And if I ever meet the twat at Enfield that started the "weapons system" buzzword, he'll get a poesklap that'll register on the Richter scale.

AIUI optical sights also can have issues due to the humidity.
You wouldn't chuckle.

At the 1988(?) SWUSSAAM(?) at Tregantle Ranges it never fvcking stopped raining. Bootnecks and 2RGJ teams with their shiny new SUSATs spent their non-firing time with a chamois leather bung on each forefinger, fore and aft of their sights, IIRC. RN with THAT RIFLE weren't troubled.

Latest Threads