SA80 in the Falklands

ugly

LE
I was picking the 4.85mm brass out of the fire trenches at hythe in 81 and I remember one of the rifles, I'm reasonably sure it was a 4.85 being carried into the SA wing at Shornecliffe that same year. Now during my year there the party down south kicked off and there was a book/novel written afterwards by a "Para" which alleged one section per company was issued an LSW trial rifle in 556 for a very yankish designated marksman role! Now the MOD would have trupeted that and no doubt by going through production records proof of rebarrelling could be found but now Herb Woodend has gone I'd have to ask officially! And I cant be arsed.
So urban or perhaps rural myths ring true. I saw them in 81 as the last attempts at getting acceptance in 4.85 which is close to .17 isnt it? I also believe that beyond pre production as in trial manufafacture and I have been involved in that stuff, nothing was done till 556 was accepted and acceptance trials were pushed. MOD would not go against NATO for a calibre (unlike the US) when sales and STANAGs are at stake.
P.S. The first UK trial bull pup was the Thorneycroft, top marks to those in the know!
For a grunt I knew a lot about my weapons, I suspect more than would be healthy had I been an armourer!

I never served in the Falklands but I can remember a debrief I had to attend after the Falklands had ended this was one of those boring things you get picked to do as a JNCO and the brief was all about kit failings from boots to boot laces and to weapons one of the items was a section being picked to use the new individual weapon system there were 8 rifles issued and they were withdrawn very quick for a number of issues one of the issues was that the first made rifles were not equiped for bayonets to be used something the powers above said would never be used again but the Falklands changed all that. If I can recall the new rifle was due to come into service overnight from about 83 - 84 but this was delayed for all the new changes.

I never served in the Falklands but I can remember a debrief I had to attend after the Falklands had ended this was one of those boring things you get picked to do as a JNCO and the brief was all about kit failings from boots to boot laces and to weapons one of the items was a section being picked to use the new individual weapon system there were 8 rifles issued and they were withdrawn very quick for a number of issues one of the issues was that the first made rifles were not equiped for bayonets to be used something the powers above said would never be used again but the Falklands changed all that. If I can recall the new rifle was due to come into service overnight from about 83 - 84 but this was delayed for all the new changes.
The main issue was, presumably, that the rifles they were issued didn't exist...

I was picking the 4.85mm brass out of the fire trenches at hythe in 81 and I remember one of the rifles, I'm reasonably sure it was a 4.85 being carried into the SA wing at Shornecliffe that same year. Now during my year there the party down south kicked off and there was a book/novel written afterwards by a "Para" which alleged one section per company was issued an LSW trial rifle in 556 for a very yankish designated marksman role! Now the MOD would have trupeted that and no doubt by going through production records proof of rebarrelling could be found but now Herb Woodend has gone I'd have to ask officially! And I cant be arsed.
So urban or perhaps rural myths ring true. I saw them in 81 as the last attempts at getting acceptance in 4.85 which is close to .17 isnt it? I also believe that beyond pre production as in trial manufafacture and I have been involved in that stuff, nothing was done till 556 was accepted and acceptance trials were pushed. MOD would not go against NATO for a calibre (unlike the US) when sales and STANAGs are at stake.
P.S. The first UK trial bull pup was the Thorneycroft, top marks to those in the know!
For a grunt I knew a lot about my weapons, I suspect more than would be healthy had I been an armourer!
.19"

Just to add more fuel to the fire.

I was involved in a trial in 79 of the SA80 that used 4.48mm.
It came with all kinds of rounds with multiple uses including AP but all we used was ball and trace,

That's the bullpump design, of which the SA80 rose from the designs. Many different types of bullpumps were designed, developed and trailed (even France and Germany dabbled with the designs) and from the British side came the L1 etc, blah (can't remember the design number) but you can imagine what the other designs that didn't make it looked like.
There you have it- the SA80 was bullpump...

Is there really anything new to say about the whole SA80 saga that makes it worthwhile bumping a thread last commented on in 2005, thirteen years ago?

In fairness, they said that about the phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range But I remember trialling them in the 80s
And some of them were sent to the Falklands, or so I've heard?

Mmm may need to set up a C├╝ntology department version of Yewtree to deal with past offences. There's some right dross in here.

@Deserter would know. Or whatever name our resident horticulturist is using this week.

I vaguely remember watching Tomorrow's World in the late(?) 70's,the host was describing a new rifle being tested by the Army.Does this ring any bells,or did I dream it?