SA80 Functions test.

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by mitzi_13, Mar 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone run me through the correct functions test to be used after the rifle has been cleaned?

Notes can be read two different ways, don't want to learn the wrong way.

Thanks in advance,

Michaela

2. Yeah because the best source of information is a website where the recent majority of its member have never served in the armed forces. Go and see your SASC bloke or SAA instructor.

In the meanwhile. The advice I will offer you as a former SAS Lt Col is that in order to carry it out specifically as per the pam you have to do it whilst doing an operational HALO drop into Iran to rescue whatever members of the Royal Navy have been captured this week.

Hope this helps

3. what???

Normally just cocking it, and firing of the mechanism will suffice. Dust cover back up, safety catch on.

If you have drill rounds you could try 5 on repetition, then 5 on full-auto if you wanted?

Are you a geek, or just sad?

4. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

If I remember Smudge67... It's safety catch first and then dust cover... you really do owe me a Pint now.. or am I wrong :oops:

5. Drill rounds? Fanny!!!

I prefer live tracer whilst aiming in the safe direction that is the cookhouse at scoff time or for effect the POL point.

6. You're right, but since he's just cleaned it, it doesn't matter ;)

7. 1. Once the weapon has been put back together the hammer is to the rear (as if made ready)
    2. Keep the safety catch to safe and try to operate the trigger (aimed shot), it will not operate.
    3. Put the safety catch to fire and operate the trigger (aimed shot), keep pressure on the trigger (as your still pulling it)
    4. Whilst holding the trigger to the rear cock the weapon (as if making ready) then release the trigger, you should hear an audible ‘click’
    5. Put the change lever to automatic and pull the trigger (aimed shot) the keep the trigger held to the rear as per 3.
    6. Whilst keeping the trigger held to the rear flip the weapon so the ejection opening port is facing uppermost.
    7. Cock the weapon (no more than) 3 times and ensure the hammer is coming forward to strike the base of the firing pin.
    8. Release the trigger, put the safety catch to safe, put the change lever to repetition, do up the dust cover and re-take control of the weapon.

I stand ready to be corrected.

Edited for mong typing

8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I think he is talking about the function test for the A2 which you are supposed to carry out during the WHT.

From memory it goes a little something like this:

Cock hook and look, carry out 7 point check, release working parts, ensure fire selector switch is set to 'R', ensure safety catch is applied, pull trigger making sure safety catch works i.e it doesn't go click, release safety catch, pull trigger ensuring you keep it depressed, cock weapon again with trigger still depressed checking the position of the hammer, release trigger slowly listening out for audible click of safety sear engaging, pull trigger, set fire selector switch to 'A', re-apply safety catch, cock weapon, pull trigger making sure safety catch works again, release safety catch, pull trigger ensuring you you keep it depressed, check hammer has gone forward, cock weapon again with trigger still depressed, check position of hammer it should now be forward, re-apply safety catch, change fire selector switch back to 'R', close dust cover.

Hope this helps.

Remember though, I am just a bloke off the internet and I could be wrong/lying through my teeth.

Edited to add: what the f*** I can't even f***ing say cock? What kind of c***ing s*** is this?

9. Rifle?!?! Homo. I prefer to use my 40mm grenade launcher :)

10. I think he may be a she with a name like Michaela. Could be wrong though.

After all, like us "She" could be anyone....

The only function test I ever carried out was making sure my bayonet could cut a mans throat every morning by using it to shave.

11. Ravers

You never know with this modern Army.

When did they start letting women in?

12. That's correct. I couldn't be arrsed to type anything remotely helpful.

13. It always struck me as odd that instructors make a full scale fecking tattoo out of the functions test - far more complex when explained and swotted up for a WHT than it should be. But then again, I failed my first WHT. Something to do with the safety catch.

14. Ravers

You should join THEM like I did, no one worries about things like weapon handling tests, safety catches or even weapons for that matter.

By THEM I obviously mean your local resident's association.