SA80 Barrel Harmonics

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by crashdummy, Nov 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,

A quick question that I've been wondering about. In basic you are taught not to lean the barrel of the rifle against anything when firing, as the contact of mass with the barrel affects barrel harmonics, or something like that.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

2. When firing the SA80, or similar bullpup design you may notice that it sings. And, like yourself, if something is lain against it's mouth it will alter it's ability to sing...... simples.

No I don't know, and have never heard of harmonics :roll: perhaps somone else might answer you more sensibly on this one

3. That's explained it well, thanks. Using some new terminology on those articles led me to the Wikipedia article on accurizing, which has some useful information also.

Reading all that explains a lot about why sniper rifles look the way they do.

4. It's not just the "tuning fork" harmonics, but the mere fact that you can actually displace the muzzle by several minutes of angle just dependent on how the rifle is held/rested. If you get the chance, stick a collimator into the muzzle and try it.