SA80 A2 mags for sale - legal?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've stumbled upon a surplus site selling A2 mags, blank ones and live ones. As far as I can tell, they're being flogged as souvenirs, the seller is not a Registered Firearms Dealer.

Without delving into where he got the mags, is this legal? Can anyone buy and sell mags for section 5 firearms?

He's got a few other interesting items like bayonets and the latest issue respirators too.

I'm not planning on grassing him up, I just find it interesting that's all.

Any ideas?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

You can order Magpul magazines that are being used in Afghanistan online. So i dont suppose he is doing wrong, but im sure a resident expert will turn up.

Not pressure bearing parts so no problem there. The question of legal ownership however.

Bit like owning a steering wheel without a driving licence, who gives a shite!.

I've stumbled upon a surplus site selling A2 mags, blank ones and live ones. As far as I can tell, they're being flogged as souvenirs, the seller is not a Registered Firearms Dealer.

Without delving into where he got the mags, is this legal? Can anyone buy and sell mags for section 5 firearms?

He's got a few other interesting items like bayonets and the latest issue respirators too.

I'm not planning on grassing him up, I just find it interesting that's all.

Any ideas?

Legal to sell them mate. Are they deffo SA80? Or are the p-mags?

Also instances on a MPC(A) course i did years ago where the DS thought it was funny to go into a shell scrape and take the weapon of the sleeping soldier and wake him up with a well aimed burst of blank automatic fire. Forward 1 day later and whilst clearing his pouches/mags the ex-sleeping soldier found live rounds in the bottom of one of his magazines. The aforementioned DS literally turned white when it was reported to him. Turned out all sorts of things were not done properly (declaration, lack of sleep, loading mags at night etc etc) but wouldnt of happened if we have what we have now which is blank/live mags.

A magazine or bayonet are not considered 'component parts' under the Firearms Act. A 'component part' is something essential for firing the weapon (ie: firing pin). Possessing component parts gets you a cell and an all day breakfast. A bayonet is covered under other legislation as it is per se an 'Offensive weapon' being designed specifically to cause injury. So, unless plod can prove theft of said mags they won't be particularly interested.

"component parts". R v Clarke (F), 82 Cr App R 308, CA states that the component part of a prohibited weapon is itself a prohibited weapon. Although there is no statutory definition, the Home Office Guidance to the Police at paragraph 13.70 states the following:
The term "component part" may be held to include (i) the barrel, chamber, cylinder, (ii) frame, body or receiver, (iii) breech, block, bolt or other mechanism for containing the charge at the rear of the chamber (iv), any other part of the firearm upon which the pressure caused by firing the weapon impinges directly. Magazines, sights and furniture are not considered component parts.

An empty 66mm LAW is considered a prohibited weapon under Section 5 as a 'rocket launcher' - coz it is. anyone who has ran a sub cal range will tell you what a piece of piss they are to reload - if you have access to the rocket.​

It's a newish thing that came in With the A2. You can put blank in the live mags but not live in the blank mags.

Helps stop thick pongo cnuts from brassing up their mates while on ex.

More this than the pongoes.....

"The officer in charge of a mock training exercise in which a Royal Marine recruit was shot dead has admitted he had not been taught vital safety rules.
Wayne Richards from Cwmavon, near Port Talbot, south Wales died last year after being shot with live ammunition, when blanks should have been used.

Nobody told me there was a book of orders. I've never seen it and I've never read it. Nobody has ever taken me through the procedure

Royal Marine Captain Gareth Pearson

An inquest at Exeter heard on Wednesday that the officer in charge had been inexperienced and lacked essential safety knowledge.

Captain Gareth Pearson, aged 25, had only been in his job for two months and the tragedy happened on only the second training mission he commanded.

Wayne Richards was killed by two bullets fired by Corporal Dave Maslan during a mock attack on Woodbury Common, near Exeter, after live rounds became mixed up with blanks.

The inquest heard that Corporal Maslan was given two magazines of live ammunition - as a precaution against terrorist attack - when acting as armed sentry.

Wayne was popular with fellow recruits

The tragedy occurred when he handed over the rifle to a colleague, but did not pass over the second magazine.

Police believe that during the 0500GMT mock ambush he fired off his original magazine and then pulled the live one from his pouch and fired 12 or 13 shots before he realised his mistake.

Captain Pearson was in command on the ground and had drawn the ammunition from the armoury at the Commando Training Centre at Lympstone.

He will not be called to give evidence but an interview with police given under caution was read to the inquest jury.

'Safety threat'

During the interview, he repeatedly refused to comment on the events of the five-day long exercise."

'Scuse cut and paste...