• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

SA80 A2 information

rbarnes182 said:
Has anybody got any info about the SA80 A2, like blueprints and materials used to make the thing? thnx guys
You're not by any chance related to Ling, are you? Or perhaps you just want to make one for yourself?

ummmm no, im 17 and will be joining the forces next year, for a-level i am doing a product study on an SA80 A2, i thought this would be a good product to study as i will be handaling one very soon and relying on it in the neaar future

LARD

War Hero
Better get a spell-checker before then.

rbarnes,
a lil tip for you, always keep back 3 feet or so from your firing buddy, hot cases down jackets when under fire are not good news.
the A2 is a beautiful piece of hardware, look after it, and it will look after you.
Dont get caught doing this either... but a Tiny drop of oil on the gas plug allows for easy removal of carbon after firing. :D
good luck. keep the chin up and your head down and you'll do fine.

Fuzz.

From the link above, "Keep bakelite hand in front of the weapon, perforated of six holes for the evacuation of gases"
I was always told that the grip was made of plastic, made my the people who brought us the Barbie Doll. Just a rumour then I guess.

What idiot would think the A2 is beautifully crafted? It's an overwieght piece of crap. I'm in Iraq at the moment and half the weapons jammed after just 10 rounds on the range. These weapons were cleaned perfectly before firing, we tried with and without oil and had the same results. The final straw was when the trigger on my rifle stopped working. I now have to check it's fixed today or I won't be going out on the next op (guess there is one good thing about the rifle). Give me an M4, G36 or any other modern rifle any day; while your at it get rid of those other unreliable pieces of crap: my OC, my CSM, the snatches, the camp generators and the bone Ops.

(Someone left themselves logged onto this computer so im not the user listed on the left)

simply_Nash said:
What idiot would think the A2 is beautifully crafted? It's an overwieght piece of crap. I'm in Iraq at the moment and half the weapons jammed after just 10 rounds on the range. These weapons were cleaned perfectly before firing, we tried with and without oil and had the same results. The final straw was when the trigger on my rifle stopped working. I now have to check it's fixed today or I won't be going out on the next op (guess there is one good thing about the rifle). Give me an M4, G36 or any other modern rifle any day; while your at it get rid of those other unreliable pieces of crap: my OC, my CSM, the snatches, the camp generators and the bone Ops.

(Someone left themselves logged onto this computer so im not the user listed on the left)
Of course you're not! :D :D :D

MsG

Bugsy7 said:
simply_Nash said:

Of course you're not! :D :D :D

MsG
:D

simply_Nash said:
half the weapons jammed after just 10 rounds on the range. These weapons were cleaned perfectly before firing, we tried with and without oil and had the same results.
LOTS of oil. Worked for me. Oil slick inside, dry as dust outside - not one stoppage in six months.

We tried loads of oil and it was still unreliable. The problem was the rifle wasn't picking the rounds up out of the magazine so the weapon would fire and cock itself but not pick up the round. Hopefully it was the range magazines that we were using but either way the A2 mags were designed as part of the weapon system.

Didn't have any complaints from my blokes, nor did I hear any coming from Al Amarrah. If you read back through the threads on the rifle since its (A2) introduction, you'd be hard pressed to find many people having had an issue with it, and bearing in mind how many rounds have gone down the range in the past 3 years, sounds like you've been unlucky. Unfortunately, posts like 'this weapon is sh!te' aren't exactly helpful to the younger sdldiers who read these threads, and who will deploy with the A2, and who may listen to 'experts' who proffer other weapon systems as being a panacea. They are not. And no I'm not a 'faceless MOD bureaucrat' nor a contractor for HK.

Bottom line, this weapon has extensively been proven in combat, when it has had to be relied upon. It is the weapon we have and will for the foreseeable future. Suggest you get yours, or 'your friends' into the armoury to get it examined.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Likewise, even reservists had no problems with it. It maybe slightly heavy but thats the nature of the beast. Speaking for a coy of 120 stabs, we had not a single major problem that was not down to the user not putting enough oil on the weapon. This includes thousands of rounds down the range, and at least 5 that were, er, not. :D

Health Warning - Ignore this post if cadets wind you up.

The only experience I've had with this family of rifle is the Cadet GP, it's a single shot version with a huge green cocking handle. As it's a cadet weapon it's of course going to get a fair bit less attention from the powers that be than the SA80 and it's maintained by cadets and Adult Instructers, which says alot for the level of maintainance much of them receive.
I've only fired about 90 rounds and I've had trouble twice.
1. When using a magazine in which the rounds were positioned by an AI - we all know what that means.
2. The cocking handle slide wasn't properly lubed.
Not bad I'd say.

The chances that the Cadet GP is anything like the A2 are quite low (I don't know what the similarities are), but the chances that it's less loved are probably quite high. So if there was a fairly strong similarity I'd have alot of faith in the A2 because I know that from what I've seen with the rifles I've used and the rifles my friends have used we've only had minor problems and they were always the fault of some eejit making a stupid mistake.

(Though I'd like to know how the A2 faired if anyone has ever used it on Full-Automatic, surely something's got to go wrong then.)

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
full auto blank is not a problem, although mine produced quite a bit of smoke ( i had jsut chucked a load of oil on there though). This was after about a couple of hundred rounds...