SA80 5.56 Trajectory

Sorry everyone. Having a spaz attack and can't remember the difference in the strike to the point of aim at different ranges. No pams at hand.

100m=90mm above?
25m=12mm below?

cheers

also

5m=
10m=
200m=
300m=
400m=

Why 5m? At that distance you could just reach over and give them a poke in the eye!

I'm sat in a hotel in egypt, if the **** blatting off with his nine mm drives round again will he penetrate my double glazed balcony windows on the fourth floor

Sorry everyone. Having a spaz attack and can't remember the difference in the strike to the point of aim at different ranges. No pams at hand.

100m=90mm above?
25m=12mm below?

cheers

also

200m=
300m=
400m=
This info would also be handy for me - I did spend a while trawling through pams a year or so ago in search of it but failed dismally.

I've just picked one of these SA80 things up in Liverpool for twenty quid. This information would be most enlightning for me, also when a Rozzer is wearing one of those daft tall helmets, at what point in the helmet does his head stop? Just out of curiosity of course.

Actually after finding there is nothing on TV and the fact that I'm not drunk yet, surely the point of impact will be the same because you adjust the range setting?

I've just picked one of these SA80 things up in Liverpool for twenty quid. This information would be most enlightning for me, also when a Rozzer is wearing one of those daft tall helmets, at what point in the helmet does his head stop? Just out of curiosity of course.
Thought it went all the way to the top :)

Well our local bobbies do as its a close nit community

Well that's just been pedantic now :)
But also why I wanted to know - I was helping some cadets prepare for a shooting competition where they were shooting at both 100 and 300, not being an Iron sight user (or a competition shot!) myself I was looking for how much they should aim off or adjust their sights between shoots.

it's Saturday night go out and get laid........
Sorry for taking the piss, my lad is in the Army Cadets and would join the Regs yesterday if he was old enough. I can't answer your question but for me it was all a matter of practice, putting in a tight group and zeroing. Ive never relied on data (rightly or wrongly) but just what felt right if that makes any sense.

Monday tomorrow hopefully some PSI will be about to have the data to hand for you

Sorry for taking the piss, my lad is in the Army Cadets and would join the Regs yesterday if he was old enough. I can't answer your question but for me it was all a matter of practice, putting in a tight group and zeroing. Ive never relied on data (rightly or wrongly) but just what felt right if that makes any sense.

Monday tomorrow hopefully some PSI will be about to have the data to hand for you
Fine, but they were snapshooting fig 12s at both ranges with no chance to re-zero. I think I've trawled all the relevant pams and failed to find the answer there . Since the PSIs I know don't use the SA80 system that was a non starter, I did find some tables for M4 and M16 online but I wasn't sure to what extent I could read across.

All just for interest now as the event was last summer, but it does nag as I'm sure the info is out there somewhere.

R

really?_fascinating

You do not need to adjust or aim off btween 0m and 300m wiht iron sights. Correct zero position at 100m sees the fall of shot at 300m hitting what would be about 100mm lower. So no need to adjust.

Iron sights only useful out to 300m as an individual. No range setting and no need to aim off. If hitting at 100m CZP, will hit about four inches lower at 300m. It would be hard to adjust your point of aim at 300m using iron sights to take account of 4 inches difference!

If hitting CZP at 100m but missing at 300mm the fault is with the firer not the zero.

You do not need to adjust or aim off btween 0m and 300m wiht iron sights. Correct zero position at 100m sees the fall of shot at 300m hitting what would be about 100mm lower. So no need to adjust.

Iron sights only useful out to 300m as an individual. No range setting and no need to aim off. If hitting at 100m CZP, will hit about four inches lower at 300m. It would be hard to adjust your point of aim at 300m using iron sights to take account of 4 inches difference!

If hitting CZP at 100m but missing at 300mm the fault is with the firer not the zero.
Short answer - we picked a fast round so that if you have a rifle zeroed for 300m, the bullet doesn't deviate more than three or four inches above or below the line of sight; that's a smaller error than the average firer's ability to group, and it's smaller than a human head (let alone body). Aim centre of figure, and you should still hit.

Longer answer...

We zero our rifles for 300m; so that "where we aim" and "where the bullet hits" are the same place.

Imagine a laser, zeroed the same way. Because the bullet has a trajectory, it flies above the line of the beam; first half of the journey climbing, second half falling, joins at 300m.

If you stuck a sheet of paper up at 100m, you'd see the laser dot (line of sight) and a bullet hole a couple of inches above it. Same thing at 200m.

But because the barrel is a couple of inches under the sights, it takes a bit before the bullet travels upward enough to cross LOS; so, if you stuck the paper up at 25m, you'd see the hole below the laser dot.

I'll have a dig and see if I can find the actual numbers ...

Aiming slightly low at shorter ranges is a habit from 7.62 days; slower round, curvier trajectory, bigger aim-off at 100/200m.

IIRC (it was 15 years ago!) I used to zero at 100m (SUSAT sight set on 300m) for a fall of shot above the POA of a Marlboro packet height! Worked great for me (district rifle champion one year and TA top 50 at Bisley)

The Marlboro did not help in the Para Cup though!!