SA Nightclub - 22 dead in strange circumstances

Oh dear.

more information would be revealed by toxicology tests and the post-mortem, but the suspicion is that the deaths are linked to something the patrons had inhaled through hubbly-bubblies, which surveillance footage showed quite a few smoking.

The invitation to the party had specified “hooka” and alcohol would be available.

If they ran gennies indoors? Unreal!

I’ve observed people get in their car in the garage, start it and then sit there for ten minutes fiddling with their phones before driving out.

and the party of red-hatted mongs arrive...
ab8dd178-21b9-4985-b5dc-54e94ba7418e.jpg

EFF members, including some of its councillors from Buffalo City arrived at the scene and demanded to go in and demolish the place. Police prevented them and told them that nobody is allowed inside the crime scene.

With even thicker supporters than the cANCer, I see no future for SA as they gain traction and their support base grows. The country has yet to hit rock bottom to demonstrate just how shit things can get before people wake up and put country before tribe, but these clowns seem to be plumbing unimagined depths that could be worse than anything we've seen in the rest of the continent.

I have seen a mass casualty incident in my city in a restaurant. The restaurant had gotten a big shipment of paper goods and stashed them around the gas water heater. Blocking airflow to a gas water heater resulted in IIRC 18 casualties of whom 4 died. A couple who were very bad but survived where brought to a Boston, MA hospital which had a hyperbaric chamber and the high pressure oxygen saved them.

I have also seen several victims of carbon monoxide poisoning. The are usually a very distinct red/pink coloring. I wonder at first why none of the first responders spotted anything like that. I then thought,"my bad" all of the victims being black it would not be immediately noticeable unless first responders opened the mouth to look at oral mucosa.

Wasn’t about when most of them died!
But no, of course not, but there was still plenty of tragedy surrounding their deaths. Anyway, I wasn’t condoning fanatics, lunatics and despots, I was condoning brash, ill thought through blanket statements!

Condemning, shirley...

Here's a couple of stories on the incident.
From the CBC:
Investigation underway into deaths of at least 21 people found inside South African nightclub
It sounds like the CBC are just repeating what they've heard from local South African news sources. They lean towards the point of view that we're not really going to know what happened until the autopsies are completed.

Here's a Al Jazeera report:
‘We suffocated for a long time’, S Africa nightclub survivor says
They quoted a number of eyewitnesses. The eyewitnesses themselves however seem to have very little idea of what happened.

One said she thought she smelled "gas", but didn't know what sort of gas it was. She suggested it was possibly tear gas or pepper spray, but I don't think she really had any idea and it could have been leaking or faulty equipment.
“It smelled like gas. I’m not sure if it was tear gas or pepper spray. Then some people died and I also fell asleep for three hours. Then when they woke us up, they also thought I was dead,” she continued.

The Al Jazeera story quotes one eye witness who was a teenager who slipped out of the house after her parents went to bed in order to attend the party. Quite possibly there was a lot of that sort of thing going on which may mean that at least some witnesses may be reluctant to come forward.

The descriptions of the scene which have people slumped over their tables with no obvious signs of injury contradict the descriptions of witnesses which claim people were crushed in a panic. I could speculate that it's quite possible that some people collapsed due to some as yet unknown cause and some others were injured as they piled up at the doors when they tried to rush from the building in reaction to this.

I suspect we will have to wait for the autopsy and investigation, but the descriptions of people slumped over with no obvious signs of injury do sound consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning as I believe that @DavidBOC mentioned above.

Here's a couple of stories on the incident.
From the CBC:
Investigation underway into deaths of at least 21 people found inside South African nightclub
It sounds like the CBC are just repeating what they've heard from local South African news sources. They lean towards the point of view that we're not really going to know what happened until the autopsies are completed.

The Al Jazeera story quotes one eye witness who was a teenager who slipped out of the house after her parents went to bed in order to attend the party. Quite possibly there was a lot of that sort of thing going on which may mean that at least some witnesses may be reluctant to come forward.
Lots of contradictory stories on this.
The CO, as mentioned above regarding power cuts and generators, makes some sense.
As does the possibility of some weird shyte in the hookah pipes

4(T)

LE
Lots of contradictory stories on this.
The CO, as mentioned above regarding power cuts and generators, makes some sense.
As does the possibility of some weird shyte in the hookah pipes

I recall a similar mystery incident in Ghana. IIRC it turned out to be electrocution; power tapped off from an HT line or somewhere, metal frame furniture, haphazard lighting and cabling, dense crowd, etc.

I recall a similar mystery incident in Ghana. IIRC it turned out to be electrocution; power tapped off from an HT line or somewhere, metal frame furniture, haphazard lighting and cabling, dense crowd, etc.
Govt promises it'll release autopsy reports tomorrow.
we shall see...

Survivors of the deadly Enyobeni tavern tragedy that claimed 21 young lives at Scenery Park on Sunday morning, say it was not an accident, but instead "well-planned murders".

Three survivors of the tragedy told News24 that a bouncer kept dumping bodies of those who died outside the door before locking it while more than 200 desperate revellers were trapped inside the overcrowded tavern screaming, coughing, and gasping for air.

The trio's friends, Bhongolethu Ncadana and Mbulelo Rangile, died during the event.

They were part of a group of seven friends who walked from Gompo township to the tavern.

Five including Afika Sebisi, 17, Luthando Ncandana, 17, and Mbasa Mpafi, 18, were the lucky ones who escaped unharmed during the chaos at the tavern.

Discussing the final moment before tragedy struck, Ncandana claimed he spotted a woman spraying what looked like pepper spray moments before chaos broke out.

"I was on the top floor. I tried to get to the bottom floor where the noise was coming from using the wooden stairs but could not get through [the crowd], said Ncandana.

He said he got pushed back by a desperate crowd that tried to flee from the bottom floor.

"I turned around and went back to the top floor and jumped off the balcony," said Ncandana.

Mpafi said he also managed to escape by jumping off the balcony.

Sebisi who was outside at the time, had a different view of what transpired, saying, "It was well-planned murders.

"First, the Djs left the tavern with music still playing behind uncontrolled, then the lights were switched off and people started screaming and coughing," said Sebisi.

He added that there was no loadshedding in the area.

"We looked around the place, all the lights from other houses and streetlights were still on," added Sebisi.

The trio said they were part of a 400-strong crowd that showed up at the small double-storey tavern to attend an event offering free WiFi and rounds of alcohol.

Free wifi I can sort of get. Good attraction for the younger phone addicted lot. Free booze, not so much. It's expensive and the African penchant for anything free* will bankrupt them in seconds. Might have been a 200 litre drum of skokiaan which could explain things but off the shelf stuff I very much doubt in that setting, unless they're mates with one of the liquor reps and he's doing them a solid.

*Sitting in the lounge in the airport at Addis yesterday, a large, well padded unit rolls up to the coffee dispenser for a cup of joe. On her way back to her seat she also fills a second cup with sachets of sugar till no more could be stuffed in there, and a third cup with sachets of creamer. Free stuff is like shit to flies on the continent.

I have seen a mass casualty incident in my city in a restaurant. The restaurant had gotten a big shipment of paper goods and stashed them around the gas water heater. Blocking airflow to a gas water heater resulted in IIRC 18 casualties of whom 4 died. A couple who were very bad but survived where brought to a Boston, MA hospital which had a hyperbaric chamber and the high pressure oxygen saved them.

I have also seen several victims of carbon monoxide poisoning. The are usually a very distinct red/pink coloring. I wonder at first why none of the first responders spotted anything like that. I then thought,"my bad" all of the victims being black it would not be immediately noticeable unless first responders opened the mouth to look at oral mucosa.
Cracked it, David...

SA is currently suffering a spate of power cuts, known as 'load shedding', which sees planned outages for 2 hr periods across various areas.
Many places, as a result, have generators in place to run lights, fridges, discos etc.
Nightclubs commonly have gennies.
This could be the source, if the mongs ran it indoors.
Sources close to the investigation believe the children - aged 13 to 17 - were killed by toxic fumes that emanated from a petrol generator that was suspected to have been used inside the tavern.

Latest Threads