SA 80 pre 1995 deactivated

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by dinky123uk, Dec 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am after a old spec SA 80 does anyone have one they wish to sell or know were to buy one have been googleing not much luck

2. I haven't seen any for a while. The last similar thing I saw was a factory made dummy/display L96A1 at Worldwide Arms, but that was a year or two ago.

3. What on earth do you want one for? Deacts don't work at all and will guarantee an armed response if anyone sees you with it. Personally I wouldn't want a load of armed coppers trying to nick me.

4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Airsoft?

5. Bit like the original SA80 then?

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Probably because it is a piece of p1ss to re-activate a pre 95 one. There is absolutely no other benefit to owning one over a post 95 de-act.

What are you planning Dinky?

7. rebore then refit 4/10 incert ... you have shotgun... but looks good... but shoots like 20 feet (if your lucky)

8. Ravers

Nice idea but is the barrel on an SA80 thick enough to be re-bored to 410?
    I would've thought that once you have bored it to size you would have nothing left!

9. i dont know for sure... however i was thinking it had loads of room .... maybe a bit thin left ..but some mad fools ?????????

10. Really? Wouldn't it involve a new barrel and working parts, as well as a good bit of work to the receiver?

Might as well make one from scratch then.......

11. [quote="Ravers]Probably because it is a piece of p1ss to re-activate a pre 95 one. There is absolutely no other benefit to owning one over a post 95 de-act.

What are you planning Dinky?[/quote]

That and the fact that the actions on the older deacts function and they can usually be field stripped.

12. Ravers

New barrel possibly, depends how the old one was de-activated, i.e. if there is lead in the barrel it can just be melted out, then the chamber can be re-sleaved. As for the rest I would assume new firing pin and new bolt which are easy enough to get hold of or machine up, a lot of units just threw theirs away when the A2 came out so a few are knocking about. The bolt carrier wouldn't neccessarily have been altered during de-activation as they would've just milled off the bolt and firing pin at a 45 degree angle.

13. And on anybody's wall. Piece of art.

(Chuffed that my 1k post is about that, brings back warm memories - modern rifles may be good but don't always have the look.)

Back on thread, sounds like a collector, is that still allowed?

14. I don't think filling the barrel with lead was ever approved by the Proof House as a form of deactivation. There were/are certain criteria which should be met, including either welding a rod into the barrel, or cutting a slot through the chamber and barrel. The chamber should also be blocked to make it impossible to load.

I know that various things were done in the dim and distant (pre 1988 and the advent of official deactivation) past, but there can't be that many of those knocking about. Those that I have seen have been old rook rifles which would probably be licence free due to their calibre nowadays anyway.