S8 on Army medical

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by krigare1986, Jul 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear all,

Are the medical side of the recruiting staff entirely black and white regarding the medical requirements for a history of depression or would they consider an individual on merit?

I have a history of depression however have since achieved remission and have never been stronger mentally. Would evidence of this be considered at all?

Cheers and many thanks to all you servicemen and women out there,

K

2. black and white.

3. As i pity your illness or whatever its classed as, i would think the Army is not the place for you or any other Services. You get ******* depressed on the best of days sometimes and with your history its asking for trouble.

So without sounding too harsh i hope it is black and white with the recruiters.

4. I would agree for obvious reasons however depression has its specific causes and full and robust recovery is more than possible.

5. Read the stickies, use the search.

6. Whilst I completely agree on cause and that remission (ever being cured is debatable) is possible, the rules are clear. That doesn't mean you cannot lead a long and fulfilling career, it just won't be in the armed forces. There are lots of allied professions around with lots of military links and in many cases working very closely indeed.

7. As Jarrod has said, read the stickies, use the search. There is not an automatic bar just because you have suffered depression, but there are rules about how many episodes, how long they lasted, how long ago they were, and what the triggers were, and those rules are hard and fast.

8. Many thanks gents.

Will have to see what they say and swallow a bitter pill if necessary.

Any ideas of how to remain close to the AF in my spare time should the worst case present itself? Volunteer stuff etc. I'd be happy cleaning the floor at the barracks if permitted

9. Cadets?

10. Lol. Very droll. Ironic that Sir W Churchill (arguably the greatest Briton after Jimmy Anderson) battled fiercely with his 'Black Dog' for most of his life...

11. I think Jarrod was being serious. There is nothing wrong working with Cadets from both a satisfaction point of view of helping out todays yoof(!), also getting something back for yourself being a mil environment. Do a long stint with the Cadets, prove you are "cured" from your depression, no recent bouts and you could be looked on more favourably in the future.
    When we say Cadets we mean becoming an Adult Instructor!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. I doubt he disclosed it in his joining medical..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Airsoft..... Can choose your uniform