S10 respirator

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Magic, May 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I keep hearing the term "Training cannister" is this a standard working NBC cannister or just a fake ?. Cheers.
  2. it used to be an out of date real cannister with red paint on it.

3. Magic, they are "normal" canisters attached to respirators. I think they are marked with a thin red band of paint around the mid cansiter seal.......

If she still refuses you can always not have the canister on at all and put your hand over the inlet valve to "heighten the tension" at teh correct time.

Cansiters have a limited usefull life once out of their sealed bags (don't ask me how long but not long, less long if in an NBC environment (24hrs i think)). Therefore training canisters are no good if 3rd Shock Army are rolling over the border.

Most of the above is probably false over to the training wing....
  4. 28 days wear and tear
    but in CS enviroment, an normal canister should filter with out much
    wear but if going onto a course change it for a fresh one
  5. You should have an unmarked Ballistic Plastic(that's 'kin difficult to break)canister if 3rd Shock ever do appear or you go & ply in any current , or future, snadpits you'll get issued at least a new one, BTW,20 years shelf life.
  6. Is the S10 being replaced soon with some double-cannistered lovely, or am I hallucinating again?
  7. GSR General Service Respirator due in service Nov 06
    07 when we all see it
  8. you are not hallucinating. two filters that mean you can change one while using the other, no need to hold your breath etc. or so I'm told. supposed to be the yellow and black stripey creatures leg joints.
  9. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Yes, all the above is correct. Did some trials on it, a few teething problems but once they are sorted it will be a top bit of kit.
  10. This is my first attempt at including a pic but this appeared in Soldier mag a while ago, saying it should be introduced from 2007.

11. From what I've been led to believe, it deals with TICs as well as the normal Lurgies, oe of two types being trialled, will I ever see them? I 've just got as close to them as I ever will!
  12. also heard that damage to the eyepiece means new resi time, and they are not cheap.
  13. Thank you for the reply chaps. I asked because the S10 seems to be suitable for Avian Flu H5N1. One can pick them up at boot sales for a couple of pounds. The latest mask I have seen is the FM12 which can can see at .....

Bottom of the page.

Another related question goes back to WWII. I can find no masks made for children smaller than 3 years old, even modern FFP3 etc.. In WWII the British introduced "The Baby Helmet", this was also adopted by Canada. There is a picture of it on the gas mask site. The Americans brought out their own version and called it "The M1 Infant Protector" which can also be seen on the gas mask site under USA page 4. My question is ... Has anything modern been introduced to replace these ?. This may be of interest to anyone who has small children in the event of an H5N1 pandemic. Thanks again .....
  14. hhhhmmmmmmmmm s6 ressy, getting all aroused now
  15. Anyone else heard that the new GSR isn't compatible with BOWMAN systems?