S Type Engagements

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by equium, Nov 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do they still exist? Is there an age limit to getting on one?Lastly if they are still around how do you get on one?
  2. tumbleweed
  3. These days you'd be very lucky to get one. The Army is now officially overmanned.
  4. lol, Overmanned i never thought i ever see the day.
  5. What is/was the difference between an "S" type (which I remember from twenty odd years ago) and FTRS?
  6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Under S-Type engagements you were discharged from the TA and joined the Regulars on a limited 'Special Enlistment'. FTRS is in effect a mobilised posting to the Regular Army i.e. your TA enlistment remains unbroken. I'm sure there's a more comprehensive definition on the ArmyNet site somewhere.
  7. Thanks.
  8. S type is a short service engagement into the regulars whilst FTRS is Full time reserve service in order to fill gapped regular posts attracting the same pay etc.
  9. and FTRS you cant get promoted whilst in role where S type you can
  10. Can't get substantively promoted...
  11. Prior to FTRS you'll be allocated a PID for your rank. You can't get promoted whilst on FTRS. You stay in that PID.
  12. Plenty of undermanned infantry battalions still.

But I've not heard of S type engagements for years, it's all FTRS now.
  13. S type still going strong, well it was 6 months ago when 1 of my lads transfered from FTRS to S type.

Probably not happening at the moment seeing as we are fully manned, allegedly.
  14. Rubbish Im afraid!

If you are in a rank ranged post and are promoted by your TA substansively and your CO agrees you can get promoted and paid for it !
  15. RUBBISH!