S Type Engagements

equium

Crow
Do they still exist? Is there an age limit to getting on one?Lastly if they are still around how do you get on one?

tumbleweed

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
These days you'd be very lucky to get one. The Army is now officially overmanned.

TA_RAMBO

Swinger
Legs said:
These days you'd be very lucky to get one. The Army is now officially overmanned.
lol, Overmanned i never thought i ever see the day.

What is/was the difference between an "S" type (which I remember from twenty odd years ago) and FTRS?

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
EX_STAB said:
What is/was the difference between an "S" type (which I remember from twenty odd years ago) and FTRS?
Under S-Type engagements you were discharged from the TA and joined the Regulars on a limited 'Special Enlistment'. FTRS is in effect a mobilised posting to the Regular Army i.e. your TA enlistment remains unbroken. I'm sure there's a more comprehensive definition on the ArmyNet site somewhere.

RP578 said:
EX_STAB said:
Under S-Type engagements you were discharged from the TA and joined the Regulars on a limited 'Special Enlistment'. FTRS is in effect a mobilised posting to the Regular Army i.e. your TA enlistment remains unbroken. I'm sure there's a more comprehensive definition on the ArmyNet site somewhere.
Thanks.

timpegasus

Old-Salt
S type is a short service engagement into the regulars whilst FTRS is Full time reserve service in order to fill gapped regular posts attracting the same pay etc.

spad

War Hero
and FTRS you cant get promoted whilst in role where S type you can

spad said:
Can't get substantively promoted...

Prior to FTRS you'll be allocated a PID for your rank. You can't get promoted whilst on FTRS. You stay in that PID.

Plenty of undermanned infantry battalions still.

But I've not heard of S type engagements for years, it's all FTRS now.

buryfc66

War Hero
mark1234 said:
Plenty of undermanned infantry battalions still.

But I've not heard of S type engagements for years, it's all FTRS now.
S type still going strong, well it was 6 months ago when 1 of my lads transfered from FTRS to S type.

Probably not happening at the moment seeing as we are fully manned, allegedly.

timpegasus

Old-Salt
spad said:
Rubbish Im afraid!

If you are in a rank ranged post and are promoted by your TA substansively and your CO agrees you can get promoted and paid for it !

timpegasus

Old-Salt
FiveAlpha said:
Prior to FTRS you'll be allocated a PID for your rank. You can't get promoted whilst on FTRS. You stay in that PID.
RUBBISH!

msr

LE
timpegasus said:
FiveAlpha said:
RUBBISH!
Correct: TA Regs Annex F to Chapter 1

9. Promotion and Career Management Policy. FTRS is normally entered as a short term, one-off tour, in the substantive rank held by the individual. While it is considered as a career posting for an individual in the TA and should hold the individual in good stead for his ontinuing TA career, it is not structured in such a way as to offer an FTRS career. Therefore, it is unlikely that an individual will be promoted while serving on FTRS. However, in exceptional cases the following rules are to apply:

msr

timpegasus

Old-Salt
I am the evidence !

I m FTRS was in for 6 mths then my TA unit promoted me to substansive full screw I was in a rank ranged post and met all the criteria in the relevant DIN therefore I was and am serving in my substansive new rank with a healthy bank balance due to the back pay!

So dont listen to any rubbish about not being able to get promoted cos its total bollocks I m afraid!

If you require more proof I work where the definitve answers are at RTMC!

timpegasus

Old-Salt
msr said:
timpegasus said:
FiveAlpha said:
RUBBISH!

9. Promotion and Career Management Policy. FTRS is normally entered as a short term, one-off tour, in the substantive rank held by the individual. While it is considered as a career posting for an individual in the TA and should hold the individual in good stead for his ontinuing TA career, it is not structured in such a way as to offer an FTRS career. Therefore, it is unlikely that an individual will be promoted while serving on FTRS. However, in exceptional cases the following rules are to apply:

msr
Helps if you put the next paragraphs down where it says you can !

msr

LE
timpegasus said:
msr said:
timpegasus said:
FiveAlpha said:
RUBBISH!

msr
Helps if you put the next paragraphs down where it says you can !
In bold for the hard of thinking....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr._Average Royal Navy 48
B Army Reserve 2
mkorak Army Pay, Claims & JPA 2

Latest Threads