S-type engagements for a rejoiner

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by mkorak, Mar 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I have posted the same sort of question in the infantry section too so sorry for that, i figured it might be more appropraite in here.

Can anyone enlighten me on s-type engagements. I am approaching 34 in 11 days which is why the army have offered me a s-type, they originally thought i was infact a year younger than i was (they got my DOB wrong) and had said yes to a full 22 year engagement then they realised the screw up, so they then said i would have to be a s-type. I am still awaiting to hear how long i will get offered as i realise it varies from 1 to 12 years, hopefully i will get a long one as they originally offered me a full 22.
    I have no reckonable previous service other than that as a recruit.

Are there limitations to s-type engagements ? Will i be eligible for the same courses as everyone else, how does promotion work, will a guy on -s-type still get to do D&D's ?

I understand there are age limitations on some things such as SRR, Pathfinders, UKSF etc are there also limits based on contract?

will i as an s-type still be eligible to apply for these once i am eligible or indeed will i never be eligible ?

I am not coming from the TA, the s-type engagement is purely because i am a rejoiner however as stated i have no reckonable previous service other than as a recruit.

How will versatile engagement effect s-type contracts.

cheers in advance guys.

2. Only thing I know is that when there were the redundancies in the 90's, one guy on an S type in our Unit was discharged and got nothing - his friend who was the same rank / had the same length of service, but on a 22 year engagement got c£40k redundancy money.

3. yeah im not bothered about the pension and stuff, i realise the army are a lw unto themselves and some get treated well others dont, thats fine.

More concerned with if i will be limtited or not in anyway and if i will still be eligible for said courses.

cheers