S/T/D help please!!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Biscuits59, Jan 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I have been using the RAF OASC Selection Tests but I struggle with out a calculator on some of the harder questions. The website is really good for questions but need some help with a way of working it in my head fairly quickly.

Apoligies as this is probally really simple but I am a Former Army Commando so struggle with this sort of thing.

All help is massively welcomed.

2. I passed OASC in 1986 at Biggin Hill. I bought this book and it helped me with the old SDT. The tests at Cranwell are now all computer based but use the same questions as the paper tests I did back many moons ago.

Good luck !

Test Your Own IQ: Amazon.co.uk: Prof. Hans Eysenck: Books
  3. STD isnt that some thing you get for shagging without a condom.
  4. can't help you with STDs mate, best go see your Doctor......

on a serious note, just keep doing the RAF ones over and over, one day you will have an epiphany and it will all come together.
    Until then, good luck.
  5. I came into the thread primed to make that joke and found some bastard had already beaten me to it!
  6. After a quick google I found this, if your struggling perhaps it might be worth forking out for it, I am sort of tempted just to see if its any good.

Keep working on it! At my briefing the s/d/t stuff was quite easy, (whole numbers easily divisible), if this is for your briefing I honestly would not worry about it, its your board you need to study for, once you have seen what you need to improve from your briefing. Though I will add I recently did the AAC aptitude test up at RAF Cranwell and that s/d/t and fuel stuff was horrendously hard! Personally I have gone back to basics and seen a huge improvement just by sharpening up my times bloody tables!

Good luck and keep at it!
  7. A few examples below on how I tackle such questions. It may not work for you and I am in no way saying which method is the best just thought I would show you how I do them.

A Time type question = At 240mph, how long does it take to travel 30 miles?
    When asked to find the time I find how long it takes to do 1 mile then multiply it by the distance.
    So here I would divide 60 by 240 = 0.25 (which is 15 seconds ( 1/4 of 60))
    Then times 0.25 by 30 = 7.5 which is 7 minutes 30 seconds.

Now this is fairly long winded method and it does become very tough when dealing with numbers that don't divide into 60 so if anyone else has a certain method for solving this type of question I would like to see it also :grin:

A Speed type question:
    What speed covers 6 miles in 4 mins?
    Here I divide 60 by 4 = 15
    15 times 6 = 90mph

A Distance type question:
    At 40 mph, how far do you travel in 1 hour and 21 mins?
    Straight away you can just focus on the 21 minutes because 1 hour *40mph = 40 miles
    Here I do the a similar thing to the time type of question 60/40 = 1.5 = 1 minute 30 seconds per mile
    because 21 is an odd number I round up 1 minute 30 seconds per mile to 3 minutes for 2 miles.
    21/3 = 7 *2 = 14
    40+14 = 54 miles

These are the methods I take when tackling these questions, if anyone has an easier way to answer the questions I would be very interested to see it.

8. Get to work on your 3, 6 and 12 times tables. Just about everything in navigation is based around the sexagesimal system, with a base of 60. So it stands to reason that S/D/T is going to be heavily influenced.

60secs per 1 minute
    60 min per 1 hour.
    360 (60x6) degrees in a circle
    60min per 1 degree of arc
    1 min of arc of a subtended at the earth's surface (along a great circle)= 1 nautical mile

Magic numbers are commonly used in navigation to make calculations a little more simple

60mph = 1mile/min
    90 = 1.5

etc. etc.

For slower speeds, a common trick is to just divide one's speed by 10 to calculate how for you can travel in 6 mins. All of a sudden, calculating how far you'd travel in 24 min at a given speed is much easier ( S/10 x 4= D )
  9. No way! I haven't looked at the link, but I bet you can get everything you need from t'internet for nowt!
  10. Even SDT test kits :)
  11. Now to be pedantic, we stopped having Army Commando's along time ago, arn't you a bit old for this sort of thing.