S/T/D help please!!

Hi

I have been using the RAF OASC Selection Tests but I struggle with out a calculator on some of the harder questions. The website is really good for questions but need some help with a way of working it in my head fairly quickly.

Apoligies as this is probally really simple but I am a Former Army Commando so struggle with this sort of thing.

All help is massively welcomed.

Thanks

M

MARTOK

Hi

I have been using the RAF OASC Selection Tests but I struggle with out a calculator on some of the harder questions. The website is really good for questions but need some help with a way of working it in my head fairly quickly.

Apoligies as this is probally really simple but I am a Former Army Commando so struggle with this sort of thing.

All help is massively welcomed.

Thanks
STD isnt that some thing you get for shagging without a condom.

STD isnt that some thing you get for shagging without a condom.
can't help you with STDs mate, best go see your Doctor......

on a serious note, just keep doing the RAF ones over and over, one day you will have an epiphany and it will all come together.
Until then, good luck.

After a quick google I found this, if your struggling perhaps it might be worth forking out for it, I am sort of tempted just to see if its any good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Distance-C...8179/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294527562&sr=8-1

Keep working on it! At my briefing the s/d/t stuff was quite easy, (whole numbers easily divisible), if this is for your briefing I honestly would not worry about it, its your board you need to study for, once you have seen what you need to improve from your briefing. Though I will add I recently did the AAC aptitude test up at RAF Cranwell and that s/d/t and fuel stuff was horrendously hard! Personally I have gone back to basics and seen a huge improvement just by sharpening up my times bloody tables!

Good luck and keep at it!

A few examples below on how I tackle such questions. It may not work for you and I am in no way saying which method is the best just thought I would show you how I do them.

A Time type question = At 240mph, how long does it take to travel 30 miles?
When asked to find the time I find how long it takes to do 1 mile then multiply it by the distance.
So here I would divide 60 by 240 = 0.25 (which is 15 seconds ( 1/4 of 60))
Then times 0.25 by 30 = 7.5 which is 7 minutes 30 seconds.

Now this is fairly long winded method and it does become very tough when dealing with numbers that don't divide into 60 so if anyone else has a certain method for solving this type of question I would like to see it also :grin:

A Speed type question:
What speed covers 6 miles in 4 mins?
Here I divide 60 by 4 = 15
15 times 6 = 90mph

A Distance type question:
At 40 mph, how far do you travel in 1 hour and 21 mins?
Straight away you can just focus on the 21 minutes because 1 hour *40mph = 40 miles
Here I do the a similar thing to the time type of question 60/40 = 1.5 = 1 minute 30 seconds per mile
because 21 is an odd number I round up 1 minute 30 seconds per mile to 3 minutes for 2 miles.
21/3 = 7 *2 = 14
40+14 = 54 miles

These are the methods I take when tackling these questions, if anyone has an easier way to answer the questions I would be very interested to see it.

-OCS-

Get to work on your 3, 6 and 12 times tables. Just about everything in navigation is based around the sexagesimal system, with a base of 60. So it stands to reason that S/D/T is going to be heavily influenced.

e.g.
60secs per 1 minute
60 min per 1 hour.
360 (60x6) degrees in a circle
60min per 1 degree of arc
1 min of arc of a subtended at the earth's surface (along a great circle)= 1 nautical mile

Magic numbers are commonly used in navigation to make calculations a little more simple

e.g.

60mph = 1mile/min
90 = 1.5
120=2
180=3
240=4
300=5
360=6

etc. etc.

For slower speeds, a common trick is to just divide one's speed by 10 to calculate how for you can travel in 6 mins. All of a sudden, calculating how far you'd travel in 24 min at a given speed is much easier ( S/10 x 4= D )

Does anyone know how good this book is? would it be worth £30?

Cheers
No way! I haven't looked at the link, but I bet you can get everything you need from t'internet for nowt!

B

bokkatankie

Now to be pedantic, we stopped having Army Commando's along time ago, arn't you a bit old for this sort of thing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sirbhp Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets 13
J Juniors 89
B Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 0