S-300s for Iran

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by annakey, Dec 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are these things any good, or are the Russians unloading old technology on the Persians? The article claims the S-300 is superior to the Patriot which I find difficult to believe.

What's the stop the Yanks/Israelis from knocking them out as soon as they switch their radars on? And if they don’t switch on they’re useless.

[​IMG]

2. Not the first time these have caused problems.

I think this was the system that the Greek Cypriots were going to get which caused a bit of a stink with the Turks. If I recall correctly (someone feel free to put me right I'm I'm not) the range was somewhere in the region of 90Km as such it meant that the North of the Island would be covered easily too.

Couldn't comment on the Patriot thing though as definitely not an expert.

More info here.

Edited to add link

3. Weren't the Persians supposed to have had this system late last/ earlier this year?
    Sure there is a thread somewhere about it

4. The denial piece I've just linked to above is from AP and surfaced seven hours ago. So not sure.

5. S-400 thread.

6. According to the wiki th3 SA-300 (Grumble) is the "closest" system the Russians have to Patriot.

They still need these
    [​IMG]
    turned on though. (Flip tops, the radar vehicles)

Which should be easily removed by these....
    [​IMG]
    or similar. (Alarm on a Tornado.)

7. That's what I thought. To park an S-300 near an Iranian nuke facility and flick that 'on' switch is a suicidal act.

8. Given that the latest NIE concludes that Iran is not pursuing, and has not pursued since 2003, a nuclear weapons programme, it seems far less likely that this hypothetical engagement will ever take place.

9. If my job was keeping an Iranian nuke plant free of US and Israeli jets I wouldn't place a huge amount of faith in the NIE.

Plus, think of the propaganda value of shooting down a load of Yanks illegally invading your airspace, parading them on TV in orange jump suits, where they criticise McDonalds and refer to George Bush as a war criminal.

10. The individual words make sense, but I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this. I guess you have something in mind, but you haven't articulated it at all well - at least to me.

11. Sorry. I'm saying (1) the NIE is unlikely to dissuade hawks in Washington and Tel Aviv and (2) even if the alleged nuke plants are hit, if the Iranians can down and capture some US aviators they'll score a propaganda victory.

So assuming these things work they could, from the Persian point of view, be money well spent. But do they work? That's the key question. It was to discover the answer that I posted this thread.

:D

12. Maybe we should hop over to Prune of E-Goat. There was a SEAD exercise in France in '05 were the Slovaks brought their SA-10's to play and let the old NATO countries have a go at them. Couldn't find any info/ results though.

T C

13. This is not really news. Iran has been upgrading air defence capabilty for some years and they already have earlier versions of the S300 family but Russia has been under diplomatic pressure not to sell the latest varients

So it depends what varient they are now talking about and if it is just an increase in numbers of existing systems. Not really surprising that Iran has a complex layered air defence system and would be beefing it up, is it?

14. Aha!

Regarding your first point. I don't think you fully appreciate the profound impact the latest NIE has had on Beltway politicking. As it stands at the moment, airstrikes on Iran a VERY much off-the-table - irrespective of what the Whitehouse may say in public. That's not to say it won't change in the future, but for now, your thread is merely a hypothetical talking point not a realistic scenario.

And the second. In (very) simplistic terms, the S-300 has two key elements, tracking radar and missile. The missile (although it comes in various versions) is very capable and would present a significant threat to all conventional manned aircraft. Pilots of a B-2 or F-22 could feel relatively secure and a Typhoon2 pilot would stand a very good chance if good drills were applied. Everything else would find it very iffy indeed. The radar issue is a bit of a red herring, as all modern systems are digitally networked with real time targetting data. So, a HARM or ALARM takes out radar A, but missile is then guided data from radar B beyond the range of HARM/ALARM, then the missile takes over it's own tracking...

Since the Slovaks have an oldish system, and they never fired a missile, nobody can be really sure of the outcome. The US bought their own S-300 system a few years back. Pulled it apart, analysed the systems and then rebuilt it. Parked it in the desert and flew missions against it. The results are still highly classified. Hmmmmm!