Ryans Daughter

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by crabby, May 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With all the recent contraversy surrounding "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" it made me think of a film my mother made me watch...

While not concentrating on the conflict it is set in Ireland in the First World War and I reckon it shows the futility on both sides of the conflict. It doesn't portray either side in the nicest light, but it doesn't show the British Army to be steely-eyed babykillers and indeed the character (army major) that has come from the trenches and has shell-shock is truely brilliant - As in John Mills (as the village idiot!!)

Has anyone else seen this? If not it really is worth seeing, I think :?

imdb ryan's daughter
  2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

It was filmed all over South West Cork with much of the work done around Crookhaven. A lovely area and a film that cinematically does justice to the area.
  3. It's on TCM (on Sky) often enough. It's a shitty romance really. The priest played by Trevor Howard is a good character though. John Mills was good (though unrecognisable). Duno what they were thinking putting Robert Mitchum in it though. Would be like putting Robert De Niro into an Irish film today.
  4. It was filmed in the era that demanded and American Star to make is commercially viable.

It still happens today but not quite as bad. It seems hard to imagine a film of this quality ever being made again.

It is one of the great films of all time.
  5. I knew SSGTs Ryans daughter very well!

OPS SORRY Im on the wrong thread.

I will get me coat. Dont tell him that I am still around.
  6. Yeah, brilliant film.

Directed by David Lean, who also did Lawrence of Arabia & Dr. Zhivago.

Screenplay for all those 3 was by Robert Bolt (wrote Man for all Seasons; the film had Charlton Heston as Sir Thomas More!).

Talented people who produced outstanding work. All films mentioned above are classics, go watch them if you haven't already. If you have seen them, watch them again.

Quote from link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066319/ above;
    Running time; 195 min / Sweden:202 min

So what was in the 7 minutes the Swedes got to see and that we didn't?
    I think I can guess. Where can I find a 202 minute DVD copy? I need to watch it again. :D
  7. John McEnroe had a small part in Ryan's Daughter. :D
  8. This is one of my favourite films of all time and I'm pretty sure Paul Scofield played that part (quite brilliantly, I might add).

9. Ha, just got it, nice one!! :D
  10. the film's ok but the Irish accents are appalling. But then again the Septics and most Brits wouldn't be able to spot that!
  11. Yes; looked it up.

Paul Scofield was in the 1966 film, which I haven't seen.
    Charlton Heston was in the 1988 TV version, which I had seen but hadn't realised it was a TV version. TV ain't what it used to be.
    The late great Roy Kinnear stole the show as The Common Man.

I'll have to look out the 1966 version.
  12. Yes, the 1966 version of A Man for All Seasons was a classic and Paul Schofield was great in it - in fact Robert Bolt was married to Sarah Miles (who was in Ryan's Daughter) ah I can see the link now :)
  13. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004122/bio
    I didn't know that. Married her twice, it seems. Also did the screenplay for The Mission ( my favourite film ever) and The Bounty. All great stuff.
    I'll definitely have to dig out the 1966 film, or keep checking TCM.
    This was an unusually cultured thread for Arrse. Off to the NAAFI bar now.
  14. Yes, it was rather - can't have that :D