Ryanair screwing staff - again

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ryanair have sent emails to staff, esp pilots, inviting them to take 12 months unpaid leave!
Now this wouldn't have anything to do with there now being a large group of pilots from Thomas Cook looking for jobs thus allowing Ryanair to put the squeeze in his staff!

They say it is to put off being in the same situation as Cook's found themselves in. Hmmm - if that is the case then perhaps travellers should be looking at using other carriers so they are not stranded abroad!

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Now this wouldn't have anything to do with there now being a large group of pilots from Thomas Cook looking for jobs thus allowing Ryanair to put the squeeze in his staff!
I think you might have a good point.

I also hope that O'Leary stands barefoot on an array of upturned plugs and lego bricks in the very near future.

For a billionaire who can afford to be compassionate and invest money in his staff but chooses to treat them like utter garbage instead, it's the least he deserves.

Partly due to their fleet size not increasing as they had a significant 737MAX order that was supposed to be arriving about now and had already recruited the pilots.

Their IR are appalling but there is more to this than O’Leary being a dick again.

MortonSlumber

Old-Salt
This is why they are in the 5hit, led by a cnut who thinks pilots are not important to the business!
Screw the pilots and see profits drop & passengers going elsewhere, all overseen by a boss earning crap loads.
Staff turnover is high, hence the need to advertise all the time for pilots & cabin crew!

Almost half of Ryanair shareholders have voted against a controversial new pay package for the chief executive, Michael O’Leary, that could result in the airline handing him a €99m (£88m) bonus within five years. A wafer-thin majority, 50.5%, approved the remuneration report at Ryanair’s annual meeting in Dublin, which means O’Leary could land the extraordinary windfall despite widespread shareholder dissent.

O’Leary’s current pay and annual bonus will be halved to a total maximum €1m a year. However, he will have an option to buy 10m shares at a fixed price of €11.12 a share, should the airline either record €2bn profit in any one year by 2024, or should the share price rise above €21. In the latter scenario, the profit on O’Leary’s share options would be worth at least €99m.

Someone should approach their Labour representative to have their workers rights protected.

I think you might have a good point.

I also hope that O'Leary stands barefoot on an array of upturned plugs and lego bricks in the very near future.

For a billionaire who can afford to be compassionate and invest money in his staff but chooses to treat them like utter garbage instead, it's the least he deserves.
And the cnuts that work for him that implement this stuff. Utter, utter used tampons.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
And the cnuts that work for him that implement this stuff. Utter, utter used tampons.
I agree, although in most organisations the rot normally begins at the top and filters down. i.e. "the boss doesn't give a toss so we should we?"

Just a shame with a company that holds a huge monopoly of the European air travel market, O'Leary doesn't follow the lead of companies who really invest in their employees like Google, Boeing etc.

I imagine Ryanair is teeming with employees who joined the company with a great career in mind and full of enthusiasm, only to gradually lose the will to live when they slowly but surely began to realise the company wouldn't pi$$ on them if they were on fire.

I agree, although in most organisations the rot normally begins at the top and filters down. i.e. "the boss doesn't give a toss so we should we?"

Just a shame with a company that holds a huge monopoly of the European air travel market, O'Leary doesn't follow the lead of companies who really invest in their employees like Google, Boeing etc.

I imagine Ryanair is teeming with employees who joined the company with a great career in mind and full of enthusiasm, only to gradually lose the will to live when they slowly but surely began to realise the company wouldn't pi$$ on them if they were on fire.
His job is to make money, not look after the staffs welfare. Under his time at Ryanair they have grown massively while dozens of other airlines have gone bust. Most firms who "invest in their employees" do so because they beleive it will save/make them money in the long run. I get a free medical once a year, not because my bosses give a toss about me personally, but because they believe it could cut down on sick days used. Until someone can prove he'll get more money by treating his staff better, he'll continue to be ruthless.

He gives the public what the want, no frills air travel.
If the public were given the choice to pay 50 quid for a flight but the staff get treated poorly or they pay 70 quid a flight but the staff get treated better, then the staff would be fucked.

Last edited:

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
His job is to make money, not look after the staffs welfare. Under his time at Ryanair they have grown massively while dozens of other airlines have gone bust. Most firms who "invest in their employees" do so because they beleive it will save/make them money in the long run. I get a free medical once a year, not because my bosses give a toss about me personally, but because they believe it could cut down on sick days used. Until someone can prove he'll get more money by treating his staff better, he'll continue to be ruthless.

He gives the public what the want, no frills air travel.
If the public were given the choice to pay 50 quid for a flight but the staff get treated poorly or they pay 70 quid a flight but the staff get treated better, then the staff would be fucked.
Excellent post. Completely made me rethink... Money talks, merit walks eh?

Excellent post. Completely made me rethink... Money talks, merit walks eh?
In the business world, its always been like that. That why the ruthless get to the top.
It could be argued that Ryanair treat it employees badly but they have a job, where as other airlines treat their staff better but have gone bankrupt and now their employees are on the dole.

When you hear stories from present and ex employees of Ryanair, it would make your hair curl, such as the alleged "negotiations" about pay and conditions. Occasionally, the staff get their own back, such as the time when an entire early shift of engineers, having been told that their next pay negotiation would consist of a serious pay cut if they wanted to keep their jobs, upped sticks and crossed the ramp to the competition, where they wrere warmly welcomed. The first thing Ryanair knew about it was when the shit hit the fan when the first flight was due to leave and the aircraft were found not to be signed off. When frantic phone calls were made, to the absent engineers, it turned out that the guy dealing with their contracts had threatened all of them with non-renewal of contracts unless they took the hit on their pay. Their new "contracts" went unsigned and the lads became unemployed at midnight so the aircraft went uninspected / signed off for the next day's work and they were in new jobs. Ryanair were furious, but there was nothing they could do. The same also happened to a group of pilots, so clearly learning from previous mistakes was not a Ryanair habit.

Holiday in the UK, you know the language, the currency and what the weather is like, and 9 times out of 10 you can get home without issue.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
We holiday in the UK. Just spend the airfare on wellies and a decent coat :)

I may be one of the few who would rather pay extra than fly RuinAir.

My experiences with them on business travel 10 years ago were sufficiently bad to make me swear never to fly with them again.

I may be one of the few who would rather pay extra than fly RuinAir.

My experiences with them on business travel 10 years ago were sufficiently bad to make me swear never to fly with them again.
To be fair to Ryan Air, they did get a bit better as they were facing competition from EasyJet who provided better experience that Ryan. Easy was seriously cornering the biz travel market.

i still would choose Easy over Ryan any time of the day - even if i have to pay a few extra quid.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
FB_IMG_1562588807767.jpg

Did someone say screw?

Bee Companeeee

Old-Salt
Holiday in the UK, you know the language, the currency and what the weather is like, and 9 times out of 10 you can get home without issue.
Just come back from a week in South Devon. Rented a picture postcard cottage for 4 in beautiful fishing village. Cost £500 and a tank of petrol.
Weather fantastic, plenty of walking in the morning with afternoons on the beach and swimming. Suppers in the local pubs. When the weathers good you cant beat it.

Latest Threads