Ryanair Flight turns back as captain ill

Superb comment from passenger Paul "Walter two sheds" Walsh :-

"I do a bit of flying myself, so I knew what was going on I knew what was happening, so I was not particularly concerned"

:roll:

This is a protest by the pilots, I reckon. They are having a long running spat with Ryanair's management over pay - and this wouldn't have gone down well with the latter...

ViroBono said:
This would only really be an interesting story if both pilots had been taken ill.

If one is unwell, the other flies the aircraft.
Why fly it back hundreds of miles again when they were only 15 minutes away from their destination. Silly company policy!

Mad_Moriarty

Why fly it back hundreds of miles again when they were only 15 minutes away from their destination. Silly company policy!
Ryan Air = Irish

Thats why.

Mad_Moriarty said:
ViroBono said:
This would only really be an interesting story if both pilots had been taken ill.

Ermm...have I told you about a Tristar inbound to Split that decided it was u/s so it flew all the way home?? Silly RAF policy?

I think it may be one of those things which sound idiotic but may have a good reason behind them, the scheduled destination airport may be difficult to land at, if that was the case it would make it particularly unsuitable for a single pilot landing and hence diversion to a more suitable airport would have been a reasonable option.

Saludos Amigos
Zapata

What I don't get it why you need a pilot to land a plan now, if something like that happened you could let the autopliot land the thing. But now, its political corectness gone mad.

I think the fact that the pilot collapsed and lost conciousness might have something to do with returning to stanstead.

So I take it that there are no qualified doctors at the destination point?

If that were the real reason I would sue Ryan airs (employers) arrse off because he kept qualified medical assistance away from me when in a vulnerable condition - civvy firms have a duty of care for their employees as well......

Mad_Moriarty said:
ViroBono said:

More like the remaining pilot was just about qualified to land it but not able to take off again, so being too tight to fly another pilot out to fly the crate back it was cheaper to fly home :wink:

Ermm...have I told you about a Tristar inbound to Split that decided it was u/s so it flew all the way home?? Silly RAF policy?

Because its better to have a broken jet where the spares are, ie Brize, also if it was a time Split was being mortered would it be sensible to park a big white Jet there for a few days?

me n bee said:
So I take it that there are no qualified doctors at the destination point?

If that were the real reason I would sue Ryan airs (employers) arrse off because he kept qualified medical assistance away from me when in a vulnerable condition - civvy firms have a duty of care for their employees as well......
You've obviously never seen Derry airport. Its back in the stoneages and miles and a good distance from Altnagelvin hospital. Stanstead would have been my choice too just for better availability of medical facilities..

Ok I see the point you are making..... but would time really have differed on the return flight to an ambulance arriving and treating / transporting the casualty?

me n bee said:
Ok I see the point you are making..... but would time really have differed on the return flight to an ambulance arriving and treating / transporting the casualty?
He was deteriorating rapidly. In the space of an hour from feeling ok on boarding the plane to 15 mins from take off he lost conciousness. Would you have made him wait?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin The NAAFI Bar 561
Hoverpot The NAAFI Bar 12
R Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14