RV Ops / Lowe Alpine

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by RVOps, Sep 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RVOps

RVOps Sponsor

We were informed last week that Lowe Alpine are no longer producing the Saracen range of Bergens - we know they make the Salient & Sabre but do not think they were as good as the Saracen. We stock Berghaus and Karrimor and would like to add another reputable range. The only one that springs to mind is Tasmanian Tiger - has anyone who's used one got any feedback on these? Has anyone got any other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

2. Something from the Arc'teryx LEAF range? expensive but quality no-doubt! I use a Miura 30 for climbing and have put it through alot of abuse, still going strong!

3. TT stuffs pretty good although ive not used any of their packs ,I was also told its difficult getting their stuff in the UK, long lead times becuse the Germans get first Dibs,not sure how true this is but worth a note.

4. RVOps

RVOps Sponsor

Guys, thanks for the feedback, one of the issues besides price with Arc'teryx is the availability - not a lot of retailers can sell it. We have spoken to TT in the past and we can get hold of it but as mentioned - long lead times.

5. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Maybe Plat-a-tac? Not sure what the prices would be like getting it from Oz though...

6. Out of interest- do you know why the limits to Arc'teryx?

Thanks for the quick turnaround on my order last week- outstanding as always!

7. RVOps

RVOps Sponsor

Arc'teryx do not want to compromise the exclusivity of their brand by having everyone stocking and selling products coupled with end users who also use it.

8. Are you sure? I was told that they will only produce the Saracen and all other military type rucksacks (Salient, Sabre, Stingray etc.) will be discontinued. Also they have a lot of military contracts so they will not sell to the private market until December.
    At least that’s what they told a friend of mine (owner of a small shop for outdoor products) when I asked him to buy a Saracen for me. So I bought a new Salient from Ebay.

TT is not official issued like the Berghaus but very popular in the German Army since they produce most of their stuff also in Flecktarn camo. Only some units (mainly parachute infanterie) are issued with the Berghaus so many soldier buy their own packs. The quality of TT is good but expensive.

Berghaus, Karrimor, Tasmanian Tiger and Lowe Alpine. At least on the German market I don’t know any other brands offering military type rucks that I would use on a deployment. O.K. there is some cheap crap (I wouldn’t even use it for Airsoft - if I would “play” Airsoft) normally with the words “Commando” or “KSK” in the name…

9. RVOps

RVOps Sponsor

I know they have limited stock of the Salient & Stingray and we bought most of their Sabre 35 stock. We were informed that they are no longer in production and were being discontinued. In the past they needed forward orders from retailers to warrant a production run and it would appear that they decided not to manufacture them as their minimum order level had not been reached. Thanks for your comments regarding the TT.

10. What about Mystery Ranch or Kifaru? I haven't used either, but they're well regarded in the US, and I've just read this;The Australian Military Community • Login. It might be worth your while emailing them, just to see what they say.