Ruth Kelly involved in expenses blackhole

#1
She seems to be claiming a sh1tload of money above what she actually needs. 8O


THE Conservatives are calling for an investigation into claims that Ruth Kelly, the Education Secretary, has a “black hole” in her Commons expenses.

Ms Kelly has been accused of claiming £72,000 to cover utility bills and interest payments that she makes on her mortgage for her constituency home near Bolton.

Documents obtained by The Mail on Sunday suggested that her annual mortgage interest payments should amount to only about £5,000 a year. Neighbours of Ms Kelly in her constituency said that gas, electricity and water bills in the area amounted to an annual average of £2,000.

The Tories have claimed that this leaves a £42,000 “black hole” in the amount Ms Kelly has received under the tax-free Additional Costs Allowance scheme. As well as mortgage repayments and domestic bills, Ms Kelly, 37, is entitled to claim for home insurance and security measures. These allowances are on top of her £134,000 Cabinet salary.


By the end of next year Ms Kelly is likely to have claimed in expenses the entire £109,000 she originally paid for the four-bedroom detached house in Horwich in January 2001.

Greg Hands, the Conservative MP for Hammersmith and Fulham, said that it was difficult to see how the Cabinet Minister could justify such a claim for an “average” property she rarely visited.

He said: “There should be a full investigation into this apparent black hole — £72,000 over four years seems like a lot of money to claim from the taxpayer when there is such a small mortgage.

“It is difficult to understand how she could justify such a large claim on what is an average property which she appears to visit rarely.”

A spokeswoman for the Department for Education and Skills said last night: “All money claimed is in strict accordance with the rules set out by the Fees Office [of the House of Commons] and all documentation was presented to the House authorities as a matter of course.”
times
 
#2
The trouble with playing the sleaze card is that it tends to come and bite you on the bum.

How much has Greg Hands claimed?

msr
 
#4
I just cant resist the thought of scuttling her from behind though... (apologies as this is not the Naafi).

Doubtless she will have abided by the rules: to the letter. The problem with New Labour is that they are very good at saying "we obeyed the rules", even when they flouted the spirit of the rules. They then normally go on to appoint a crony (for yet more taxpayers' cash) to look into the problem that they created (on purpose) in the first instance.
 
#5
Darth_Doctrinus said:
Perhaps she needs the money to pay for 'Eyebrow Management' courses...

...yep - pretty cheap shot.

Yep... PRETTY much on target, unlike ms Kelly
 
#6
Darth_Doctrinus said:
Perhaps she needs the money to pay for 'Eyebrow Management' courses...
Well, she hasn't spent it on 'Breeding Management' courses either. Or 'How To Avoid Sounding Like A Man' training....

A shiny sixpence to the first ARRSER to attribute Ms Kelly's alleged misdeeds to an Opus Dei conspiracy, rather than the usual New Labour low standards.
 
#8
Agent_Smith said:
She seems to be claiming a sh1tload of money above what she actually needs. 8O


THE Conservatives are calling for an investigation into claims that Ruth Kelly, the Education Secretary, has a “black hole” in her Commons expenses.

Ms Kelly has been accused of claiming £72,000 to cover utility bills and interest payments that she makes on her mortgage for her constituency home near Bolton.

Documents obtained by The Mail on Sunday suggested that her annual mortgage interest payments should amount to only about £5,000 a year. Neighbours of Ms Kelly in her constituency said that gas, electricity and water bills in the area amounted to an annual average of £2,000.

The Tories have claimed that this leaves a £42,000 “black hole” in the amount Ms Kelly has received under the tax-free Additional Costs Allowance scheme. As well as mortgage repayments and domestic bills, Ms Kelly, 37, is entitled to claim for home insurance and security measures. These allowances are on top of her £134,000 Cabinet salary.


By the end of next year Ms Kelly is likely to have claimed in expenses the entire £109,000 she originally paid for the four-bedroom detached house in Horwich in January 2001.

Greg Hands, the Conservative MP for Hammersmith and Fulham, said that it was difficult to see how the Cabinet Minister could justify such a claim for an “average” property she rarely visited.

He said: “There should be a full investigation into this apparent black hole — £72,000 over four years seems like a lot of money to claim from the taxpayer when there is such a small mortgage.

“It is difficult to understand how she could justify such a large claim on what is an average property which she appears to visit rarely.”

A spokeswoman for the Department for Education and Skills said last night: “All money claimed is in strict accordance with the rules set out by the Fees Office [of the House of Commons] and all documentation was presented to the House authorities as a matter of course.”
times
i would like to ask miss kelly the reason why students like my self and others in a well known uni are only able to have part help with our fees and all the other state uni students have all there help and fees paid for them
we have to only miminal loans and the other uni students have help with there all there fees,acomdation etc

she as claimed all this money in expenses and the education dept and students like my self which need help are not recieving any help they need
yes there should be a full investgation in to this ladys spending
 
#10
pentwyn said:
i would like to ask miss kelly the reason why students like my self and others in a well known uni are only able to have part help with our fees and all the other state uni students have all there help and fees paid for them
we have to only miminal loans and the other uni students have help with there all there fees,acomdation etc

she as claimed all this money in expenses and the education dept and students like my self which need help are not recieving any help they need
yes there should be a full investgation in to this ladys spending
Maybe because your grammar, spelling and punctuation are so bad that your university has been identified as a lost cause, and thus only receives half the available funding as its students only have half a brain (between 600 of the wasters).

Whining Welsh witch. Your countrymen succeeded where many thought they would fail: they managed to scribble enough crosses on bits of paper to vote for the Welsh Assembly (Honour Title: Home for Pederast Druids and other Deviants). With freedom and rights comes responsibility. If you don't like it, then please feel free to throw yourself into a disused coal mine.
 
#11
Before we condem Ruth Kelly consider the facts
She is a hard working MP and does wonders for the goverment which in turn is looking after the Armed Forces so much that they are now best treated in the..................

Hey who been using my log in trust me not to lock the key board whilst out of the office.

Just to clarify all MP's are money grabing paricites only supporting causes which will get them votes and a seat then dropping the cause because it not worth the hassle but hey we still do their bidding as loyal servents.
Why did i sign that form
 
#12
She's not the only one. John Prescott, Geoff Hoon, Hilary Armstrong, Margaret Beckett and Bliar himself are all at it too.

link
 
#13
I think it laughable that ministers, who get paid a lot more that your average worker in the UK, gets so much assistance of paying their day to day bills, i thought that is what your normal pay was for! I agree with paying travel expenses, but if you have a second home - thats your choice, crack on with it.

Its almost worth getting elected, get paid a shed loads of money, do a crap job, screw some fit birds that the papers would employ to entice slease on you, and pocket the redundancy payout! Then back to the old job, from which you took a sabbatical break!

OS
 
#14
OS,

And a pension after 4 years!

msr
 
#15
Darth_Doctrinus said:
Perhaps she needs the money to pay for 'Eyebrow Management' courses...

...yep - pretty cheap shot.

Who cuts her hair? Blunkett? Let me at that woman with a pair of tweezers!!!!! 8O

No doubt there will be an investigation- of which she will be cleared of any wrongdoing and some new rules will be put in place for all parties to ensure that it doesn't happen again..... :roll:


Quite frankly I am bored with all the sleaze.
 
#16
msr said:
The trouble with playing the sleaze card is that it tends to come and bite you on the bum.

How much has Greg Hands claimed?

msr
unfortunately, my pooter does not appreciate PDF files and that's all that The Houses of commons website will provide :(
 
#17
That is a lot of money , especially with her attendance record.
 
#18
pentwyn said:
i would like to ask miss kelly the reason why students like my self and others in a well known uni are only able to have part help with our fees and all the other state uni students have all there help and fees paid for them
we have to only miminal loans and the other uni students have help with there all there fees,acomdation etc

she as claimed all this money in expenses and the education dept and students like my self which need help are not recieving any help they need
yes there should be a full investgation in to this ladys spending
Bizarre tangent :?

Had to double check which site I was on :roll:
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top