Rusty wrench!

I have an adjustable wrench that is seized due to rusting. I have removed the wheel and pin, and given it a liberal coating of WD40, however it's still stuck.

I'm planning to leave it to soak overnight in vinegar, mainly because it's the only acid I have to hand.

Assuming it's still seized tomorrow I was planning to give a few knocks with a hammer. I'm assuming that without the pin and wheel fitted the lower jaw of the wrench should move freely, so that's where I should be aiming.

If anyone has any better ideas I'd be pleased to hear them.

Ta

MM

wrench.jpg

Heat or put it in a vice to open it.

At home I use a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF fluid, even pour it into cylinders when pistons and rings are stuck, cheap and extremely effective. WD-40 is at the bottom of the pile when it comes to its ability to eat through corrosion to free parts up. In a professional capacity, I use a liquid called Mouse Milk which isn’t cheap but has great penetrating capabilities.

Edit; if its a cheap piece of cräp you have nothing invested in, heat it up with a propane torch and hit it with a hammer.....

If nothing else works then Deox C is your friend. (Made by a company called Bilt Hamber). It's the business. It'll take every piece of rust off that back to clean steel.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
I have an adjustable wrench that is seized due to rusting. I have removed the wheel and pin, and given it a liberal coating of WD40, however it's still stuck.

I'm planning to leave it to soak overnight in vinegar, mainly because it's the only acid I have to hand.

Assuming it's still seized tomorrow I was planning to give a few knocks with a hammer. I'm assuming that without the pin and wheel fitted the lower jaw of the wrench should move freely, so that's where I should be aiming.

If anyone has any better ideas I'd be pleased to hear them.

Ta

MM

View attachment 388947
You could swop it for a none working extension lead with @dombo63

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/extension-reel-not-working-cannot-figure-out-why.292154/

Knowing what you bastards are like, when I saw the title I was expecting something truly degenerate and was disappointed to find that it's exactly as it said it was and not a euphemism for something else.

Having said that, be careful to not spend more money trying to fix it than it's actually worth. You could quite easily spend more on a jug of chemical rust remover than you would to just buy a new wrench. The suggestion above to use Coca-cola as a rust remover is a decent one, and it's cheap.

I clean up loads of old tools like this and I start with electrolysis. Plenty of videos of this out there you just need a simple battery charger, a bucket of water with some salt water in it or washing soda for less mess. A bit of old iron/steel to act as the cathode and Bob's your uncle. Doesn't take very long and is better at freeing up stuck parts then anything else is. When done just scrub of the black looking residue under the tap, dry it off quickly and oil it before it can rust again. Some tools I buff or polish as well. Depends on what I judge to be worthwhile.

If you use vinegar, then use distilled vinegar. It's the clear looking one. Tesco have just put their price up to 40p a 750ml bottle (from 39p) but it's still cheap enough to buy a few bottles. Works better than coke/cola and you can use it in the kitchen as it's "food safe" unlike other rust strippers.

Once you have some success behind you, restoring tools and things becomes an interesting hobby.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
If you use vinegar, then use distilled vinegar. It's the clear looking one. Tesco have just put their price up to 40p a 750ml bottle (from 39p) but it's still cheap enough to buy a few bottles. Works better than coke/cola and you can use it in the kitchen as it's "food safe" unlike other rust strippers.

Once you have some success behind you, restoring tools and things becomes an interesting hobby.
I'm not having that

Latest Threads