Russo Japanese war

One hundred and Fifteen years ago the IJN attacked the Tsars Pacific fleet at Port Arthur. Using guile cunning and skill both the IJN & IJA managed to defeat Russian Forces in a war that last over a year

One hundred and Fifteen years ago the IJN attacked the Tsars Pacific fleet at Port Arthur. Using guile cunning and skill both the IJN & IJA managed to defeat Russian Forces in a war that last over a year
Alternate view the Russians were so incompetent they couldn't find their own arses in a darkened room. The Japanese followed the drill books their German [army] and British [navy] mentors had given them. The navy performed quite well, the army arguably less so; Japanese casualties at Port Arthur weren't insignificant and the Germans might have seen more of what would happen in 1914 if they'd looked a bit closer.

Alternate view the Russians were so incompetent they couldn't find their own arses in a darkened room.
A Russian fleet en route to the far east also mistook a fleet of British trawlers in the North Sea for the Japanese fleet and started firing at the trawlers and at each other.

Dogger Bank incident - Wikipedia

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Good stuff on the naval side in three volumes by Cdr Vladimir Semeonov who was there at the time ('Rasplata', 'The Price of Blood-, and Tsushima'). Amazon link below but if you grub about there a re freebie pdf downloads to be had.

A Russian fleet en route to the far east also mistook a fleet of British trawlers in the North Sea for the Japanese fleet and started firing at the trawlers and at each other.

Dogger Bank incident - Wikipedia
They were from Hull so as a stout Grimbarian I have to side with the Russians on this one.
The attitude of the RN was quite interesting. The Russians were shadowed by British Cruisers until they were well away from our shores, but the Channel Fleet commander intended to play the game and give them a chance if it came to a shooting match. He would only engage them with half his fleet unless they looked like winning.

Good stuff on the naval side in three volumes by Cdr Vladimir Semeonov who was there at the time ('Rasplata', 'The Price of Blood-, and Tsushima'). Amazon link below but if you grub about there a re freebie pdf downloads to be had.

Sir William Christopher Pakenham, then a Captain in the Royal Navy, was present on board the Japanese battleship Asahi as an observer during the Battle of Tsushima.

ugly

LE
The Japanese using cunning, quelle surprise, a sneaky attack that was repaid in spades in 1945, the Russians may change leaders but they dont forget history!

They were from Hull so as a stout Grimbarian I have to side with the Russians on this one.
To be fair to them, if they,d been armed with anything more lethal than fresh fish, they'd probably have won.

Sir William Christopher Pakenham, then a Captain in the Royal Navy, was present on board the Japanese battleship Asahi as an observer during the Battle of Tsushima.

And mightily impressed even the Japanese with his sang froid - the Japanese command team and Pakenham were supposedly splattered with entrails and blood when a nearby secondary battery took a direct hit, which shook even the Japanese officers, samurai / bushido spirit not withstanding. Pakenham allegedly excused himself, went to his cabin, and reappeared five minutes later in a fresh uniform.

Thought: I guess if you're a Russian it wasn't a bad preview of WW1. Huge armies manoeuvre across continents, pivoting on strategic railways, and in the end the Russians lose horribly and a revolution breaks out.

It is also an amazing thought that Mukden (checks map) was the biggest battle in world history at the time, and the previous biggest had been Leipzig in 1814.

....if we knew then what we know now.
One lesson learnt, the safe deployment of mines ensuring that the minelaying ship doesn't carry the only mine chart with it. The loss of the mine layer Yenisei led to the cruiser Boyarin investigating until it too struck a mine. Inexperience was a factor for the loss of both ships. it took a second mine strike to sink the Boyarin, which was in the process of being salvaged/recovered.

While Port Arthur is well known, a second battle had taken place at Chemulpo bay. Where the American built Varyag, was scuttled by her crew after all her guns were out of commission by japanese gunfire. Salvaged by the IJN, renamed the Soya as a training ship until WW1 where she reverted to Russian ownership as the Varyag once more. The Red Flag raised in support of the Russian revolution, she eventually sank off the Scottish shoreline.

And mightily impressed even the Japanese with his sang froid - the Japanese command team and Pakenham were supposedly splattered with entrails and blood when a nearby secondary battery took a direct hit, which shook even the Japanese officers, samurai / bushido spirit not withstanding. Pakenham allegedly excused himself, went to his cabin, and reappeared five minutes later in a fresh uniform.
Ah Spots worth Battle seems imminent would you pass me my red Jacket - so that should I be wounded the sight of my blood does not distress the men .

Spotsworth on reflection the Brown trousers as well.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
One lesson learnt, the safe deployment of mines ensuring that the minelaying ship doesn't carry the only mine chart with it. The loss of the mine layer Yenisei led to the cruiser Boyarin investigating until it too struck a mine. Inexperience was a factor for the loss of both ships. it took a second mine strike to sink the Boyarin, which was in the process of being salvaged/recovered.

While Port Arthur is well known, a second battle had taken place at Chemulpo bay. Where the American built Varyag, was scuttled by her crew after all her guns were out of commission by japanese gunfire. Salvaged by the IJN, renamed the Soya as a training ship until WW1 where she reverted to Russian ownership as the Varyag once more. The Red Flag raised in support of the Russian revolution, she eventually sank off the Scottish shoreline.
Port Arthur was also the battle where the German Imperial Army staff became interested in the use of Mortars, having witnessed the IJA’s use of them during the siege. A development which led to many happy days for myself knocking lumps out various range complexes with the 81 mm.

In a deckchair on the quarterdeck.

Port Arthur was also the battle where the German Imperial Army staff became interested in the use of Mortars, having witnessed the IJA’s use of them during the siege. A development which led to many happy days for myself knocking lumps out various range complexes with the 81 mm.
Twenty rounds,quick action,direction as indicated!

The Japanese using cunning, quelle surprise, a sneaky attack that was repaid in spades in 1945, the Russians may change leaders but they dont forget history!
Mr Zhukov also gave them a damned good thrashing in 1938, which probably stopped them from even considering a rematch in 41.

ugly

LE
Minenwerfers, minens for the werfing of!