Russians move to end rift with UK

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jul 3, 2008.

?
  1. He must make British position even more tough

32.4%
  2. Mr.Brown should follow current line

7.0%
  3. It is mr.Milliband's business, not PM's

5.6%
  4. Rather yes

4.2%
  5. Yes, he should

15.5%
  6. Yes, moreover it is very important for the UK

35.2%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/03/russia.foreignpolicy

2. msr

msr LE

Perhaps they would like to hand over Lugovoi as a first step?

msr

3. Who the fcuk voted that we should get tough with the Russians? They can crush us militarily and commercially without batting an eyelid.

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'm sure the Brooooon has already agreed to forgive and forget the nuclear chemical weapon poisoning of a person on British soil - it's a bit of an inconvenience. He's always been MUCH closer to Russia than the UK anyway, so I'm sure we can all do a deal.

5. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Who the fcuk voted for Cyclops? Russia should hold off until we have an elected goverment otherwise they and any deals made may not be taken seriously after the next election. Which just goes to show that politicans are idiots- all politicians of all colours (red, yellow green or blue), races and nations

6. No need for an arms race - they can destroy UK by turning off the gas. France can do it by turning off our electricity. We are pretty much dependant on everyone now.

7. Mind you with Russian Gas going up in price by 50% this coming winter, something the UK media haven't really picked up on yet, they will effectively start squeezing Europe from about October onwards. The pips will start to squeak not long after

Britain is the largest single investor in Russia and both the PM and Medvedyev are fully aware of how important good relations are as said in the article.

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I'm sure that the politicians on both sides will resume normal diplomatic back slapping in due course, but businesses are increasingly turning away from Russia. Not that this will (or should) bother the Russians who surely can get investment just as easily from elsewhere, but British fingers have been burned trying to make a profit there and we'll probably see a disengagement.

Opinion piece here ...

9. Well we are Russias oldest trading partner, The Muscovy Company, so it might make sense for both sides to reorg and get friendly again.

10. Do you think we could swap him for Putin i mean at least he has two function eyes.

11. KGB(FSB) fact finding at its best Sergey :roll:
    If this is how your boys aquire intelligence then we have nothing to worry about.

12. Sickenly true :x

13. The best sources of intelligence are pubs I fancy.

On a serious note, my uncle is a former colonel of GRU. He worked with satelite images (mainly China was the area of his interests). As for my Father then he (former colonel of KGB) served in counter-intelligence division. And he is well aware about methods used by our American friends. Now he is in hospital - lung cancer.

14. Sorry to hear about your father Serge, I wish him a speedy recovery.

15. Off-thread a bit for a mo: Dear Sergey, I was very sorry to hear that your Da is in dock. You must be very worried about him. I sincerely hope everything turns out fine for him.

Back on thread:
    In the long-term, it's probably a good bet for the UK to start cosying up to the Ivans. Brits are (strangely) quite admired in Russia, much more so than Septics. And the "special relationship" the UK ostensibly has with the Septics hasn't turned out to be very advantageous at all, has it?

Cultural bit: even in the dark days of Communist rule, the normal Ivans were always extremely fine folks. I knew them then, and I've since been back a couple of times. Anybody who has any doubts about Russia should take the trouble of spending a bit of time there. It provides a whole new perspective, believe me.

MsG