Russians Deploy Marine Mammals Off Syria.

TamH70

MIA

Ritch

LE
Wasn't that so blokes could hoover up all available skirt in the bar by proclaiming that they were Navy SEAL Dolphin Trainers?
Probably!

Rumours were flying round of dolphins attaching limpet mines to ships but nothing official.

No not underwater things but our four legged friends. The Russians trained dogs to run under tanks with mines strapped to themselves. Only they preferred Russian tanks to German ones.

Slime

LE
Not the SEALS but the US Navy Marine Mammal Programme.

I don't think they've ever been deployed in an active war zone although there were rumours of them in Iraqi ports during GW2.
The dolphins were deployed during the Vietnam war. They were used in river patrols.
I’m not sure if any of them killed any VC but one did kill an American.

The US dolphin programme was said to be a failure from the start, but was kept going as the (then) soviets had a similar programme.

The issue as ai understand it was that the dolphins were intelligent enough to understand the tasks they were given, but generally didn’t want to do the tasks as the tasks involved hurting someone.

Ritch

LE
The dolphins were deployed during the Vietnam war. They were used in river patrols.

The US dolphin programme was said to be a failure from the start, but was kept going as the (then) soviets had a similar programme.

The issue as ai understand it was that the dolphins were intelligent enough to understand the tasks they were given, but generally didn’t want to do the tasks as the tasks involved hurting someone.
I bet the Sea Lions wouldn't have any qualms about hurting someone!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

How orcaward for the trainers.

How was a dolphin going to kill the Vietcong exactly ?

Call me a cynic but the minute it breaks the surface in the Mekong it will be sweet and sour fish balls.

Latest Threads