Russians Caught Spying

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tomahawk6, Sep 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think the answer is looking after there interests :wink:

Tension between Russia and Georgia over N & S Ossetia is high the minute. They may have been spying or the Georgian are just using it as a stick to beat the Putin with.

I am not sure and I do not think that either way it is going to affect the price of fish.

2. Russia caught spying, who'da thunk it.

In other headlines bear defecates in woods.

3. Where is Sergey?

He will have a more informative update on this event.

4. Maybe he was busy planning something.
    I found this eairler news report.
    http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/09/07/moscowgeorgia.shtml

5. Or stuck in some Georgian Jail.

6. Here's a criminal law firm in Tiblisi, Can somebody phone them for Sergey!

Khountsaria & Partners
    74 Chavchavadze Avenue, 12th Floor, Room 1208
    Tbilisi

7. The way these thing go in a few weeks he may end up the president of Georgia. The lawyers will be calling him Mr president

8. There's some scary stuff happening there. Earlier in the week some fool shot a Strela-2 at Saakashvili's heli, whilst it had a passing US Senator aboard. Today the Russians are moaning about Georgian FROGFOOTs overflying their positions, and that new NATO states have been arming the Georgians. It might be about to Kick Off.

9. The crisis began two days ago and I was not sure that it would be interesting for our good company.

Russia and current Georgian government signed an agreement about full withdrawal of Russian military bases from Georgia in 2008. Until that time presence of Russian soldiers is absolutely lawfull and accusation in espionage is an absurd. So called Georgian 'army' doesn't worth such efforts.

In fact detained Russian officers are POWs and their capture is an act of a war. But furtunately Russian FM is a very a skillfull diplomat. Likely Russian reaction will be very calm, not military (as pres.Saakashvily awaits) but rather diplomatic.

There will be a discussion in UNSC. If US/UK/France would say that it is simply bilateral question then on similar occasion (like the capture of Israeli soldiers) Russia would have a moral right to block any resolution. It would be a highly undesirable precedent for US. Btw. I have heard a version (on Radio Echo of Moscow) that the capture of Russian officers was ordered by Washington (pres.Saakshvili visited it recently).

What is a plan of pres.Sakashvili? By this provocation he tries to unleash a war, ask American help and deliver Georian territory for American military bases. He hopes to receive a massive financial help because a state of Georgian economy is a real disaster. The country is a typical agrarian state of 19th century. It depends on Russian supplies of electricity and gas. Georian population live in povetry. GDP is only $6.4 blns (population 4.7 mlns.) and $2blns are being sent annually from Russia by Georgians that work here.

It would be interesting to hear a reaction of World leaders. Arrest of the officers is not a detention of ordinary criminals.

10. Sergey,

I knew we could rely on you to give us good information on the situation.

11. Under various articles of international law, including the Geneva Conventions, they're not considered POWs if they were caught engaging in espionage.

12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I think that it depends on whether they were in or out uniform and/or illegals or legals I think. If they were legal soldiers out of uniform (i.e. leave or time of duties) then it would be a very interesting case...

13. Sound like Russia's plan for Europe and I still think Sergey will end up a future president of Georgia

14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

...and they say the cold war is over :twisted: Risk anyone?