• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Russians are coming again, Tories warn

Russians are coming again, Tories warn
Daily Telegraph
Link
The Russians are using billions of dollars of oil profits to rearm, just as British defence chiefs prepare for cuts in the summer's Government spending review, the Conservatives have warned.

Liam Fox, the party's defence spokesman, sounded the alarm about "the growing and accelerating rearmament in Russia" in a House of Commons debate.

He claimed that President Vladimir Putin's government is planning to spend $183 billion (£94 billion) over the next nine years — or $1.7 billion (£900 million) a month — on its armament programme.
advertisement

His warning of a Russian resurgence comes amid increasing concerns about the 'overstretch' of Britain's Armed Forces and cutbacks in the defence budget in this summer's Comprehensive Spending Review. The weapons shopping spree between 2007 and 2015 could push Russia's spending towards Cold War levels.

Dr Fox, who visited Eastern Europe earlier this year, said that weapons on order include:

• 69 Topol-M missiles with between 70 and 200 nuclear warheads;

• five nuclear ballistic missile submarines;

• 60 Bulava intercontinental ballistic missiles, with 400 to 600 warheads;

• 1,400 tanks;

• 4,100 infantry fighting vehicles;

• 3,000 armoured personnel carriers;

• 1,000 combat aircraft and helicopters;

• 60 theatre quasi-ballistic missile systems.

He warned that Russia had been covertly rearming while "the eyes of the West have been elsewhere".

Dr Fox added that while the UK is planning to invest in the next generation of the Trident nuclear deterrent "the Russians are already investing heavily in more warheads

Good.

Next time the Soviet Union gets resurrected, we should opt to go on their side.

Can't be any worse than the situation we are in now? Plus the USA are about to go into a nose dive.

Being a satellite state of Russia has it's benefits compared to the state of the UK currently.

At least we would have a decent defence budget.

B

Biscuits_AB

The Lord Flasheart said:
Good.

Can't be any worse than the situation we are in now? Plus the USA are about to go into a nose dive.

Being a satellite state of Russia has it's benefits compared to the state of the UK currently.

Yep, and the State already dictates to us, so we're halfway to being f*cking Commies anyway.

Never mind though. We might win. And BAOR will be resurrected!

B

Biscuits_AB

The Lord Flasheart said:
Good.

You be happy flying a HIP?

S

stabradop

Biscuits_AB said:
The Lord Flasheart said:
Good.

Wouldn't mind a Hind D or a Havoc

stab

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Random_Task said:
Biscuits_AB said:
The Lord Flasheart said:
Good.

Yep, and the State already dictates to us, so we're halfway to being f*cking Commies anyway.

Fingers crossed John Reid gets the Labour Leadership then! ;)

Will Sergey be made a mod?[/quote]

That's possible but I think Sven will want to be one of the COs! :pissedoff:

MMM wouldn't fancy joining up though, have you ever flown Airoflot?
If you survive the flight fine,
but will you survive the boiled potatoes and soup on board?
Nah, better idea join the Russian Mafia, that way you can minggle in with the other
480k already here, and on pay day its NO TAX.

Biscuits_AB said:
The Lord Flasheart said:
Good.

I'll be happy taking a job in the bureau dictating which Avn Regt's amass on the Irish buffer zone against those Amerikan capitalist pigdogs. :D
So long as I get a newish Zil and an apartment in Putingrad (renamed from Burnley), I'll be as happy as a KGB interrogator in a hardware store.

The Lord Flasheart said:
...the USA are about to go into a nose dive.
That is my view of the matter precisely.

The US dollar is still the world reserve currency and proportionately the world's biggest reserve asset.

When and if that nose dive begins, we over here won't be nose diving alone.

Similar worldwide repercussions ensued (on a much smaller scale) when the Bank of England suspended gold redemptions of pound sterling balances. It was bad but it was only a foretaste of what I fear is coming.

Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
The Lord Flasheart said:
...the USA are about to go into a nose dive.
That is my view of the matter precisely.

The US dollar is still the world reserve currency and proportionately the world's biggest reserve asset.

When and if that nose dive begins, we over here won't be nose diving alone.

Similar worldwide repercussions ensued (on a much smaller scale) when the Bank of England suspended gold redemptions of pound sterling balances. It was bad but it was only a foretaste of what I fear is coming.

That is the scary thing.

Far East sun rising very shortly? (I don't mean Nippon either).

stabradop said:
Biscuits_AB said:
The Lord Flasheart said:
Good.

Wouldn't mind a Hind D or a Havoc

stab
Hinds that are not overly stable in the hover?

Auld-Yin said:
Random_Task said:
Biscuits_AB said:
The Lord Flasheart said:
Good.

Fingers crossed John Reid gets the Labour Leadership then! ;)

Will Sergey be made a mod?[/quote]

That's possible but I think Sven will want to be one of the COs! :pissedoff:
If it happens then I will be one of the muhajadeen

We would get plenty of warning. Russia would have to reclaim all the places that it released to be a democracy before it got to us.

That is unless the USA passed us to Putin as a peace offering, i can just see Blair running up the red flag now with Red Ken waiting in the wings to be premier with George Galloway as his right hand man.

Haven't we all been here before? NATO spent the best part of 40 years demonising the Russian bear. It's dead folks and it can rattle its claws but it still remains dead. In the fifties, the 60s and the 70's and even into the 80's armies trained for one thing and one thing alone - the great russian push into europe. It never happened and it never will.

Why?

Because the Russians ain't got the capability and we haven't the capability that we had to have to fend it off.

Doesn't that say something?

They don't want it. We don't want it. Nobody wins. End Ex.

The Lord Flasheart said:
So long as I get a newish Zil and an apartment in Putingrad (renamed from Burnley), I'll be as happy as a KGB interrogator in a hardware store.
You are living in old days! Mercedes V-klass is what interrogators ride nowadays. It's comfortable, has leather seats, fits 10 people, and you can even mount a KPVT in the back. :)

War to the hilt between Communism and Capitalism is inevitable.

Our time will come in 20 or 30 years. To win we shall need the element of surprise. The bourgeoisie shall have to be put to sleep. We shall begin by launching the most spectacular peace movement on record. There will be electrifying overtures and unheard of concessions.

The capitalist countries, stupid and decadent, will rejoice to cooperate in their own destruction. They will leap at another chance to be friends. As soon as their guard is down, we shall smash them with our clenched fist.

Dmitri Manulski - Lenin School of Political Warfare 1931.

Bears hibernate don't they? However, as many of Bliar's coterie have Communist leanings or pasts, it is not surprising that our defences are being lowered in readiness to welcome the 'comrades'.

To those who actually believe in this "Russia is coming" crap:
We have too many important things we have to take care of in our country. Idea of world war 3 was pure craziness on both sides. I believed it then, and I still believe it today. In my opinion, ideology is something to feed the blind and stupid masses, just like blind patriotism and nationalism. It's the money which rules everything.
It's all about money, oil, and gas. I don't think pragmatic capitalists on both sides would allow their riches to be endangered by some vague idea of West vs. East. Let ignorant and uninformed idiots believe in this.