Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ukraine War in Ukraine

Thanks, I need to do more homework. Can Ukraine cut the supply to Germany?

Think of gas pipelines as an electrical circuit with multiple redundancy - one cable goes down the power can be re-routed.

If Ukraine shut the pipelines in their country gas could be re-routed through Belarus and Nord Stream 1 (Russia to Germany). But not in the capacities required. Hence the political wrangling over Nord Stream 2 for the past few years and Germany's governments' reluctance to kick up a fuss over Russia. In short, Germany boxed itself into a corner and screwed Ukraine at the same time.

ETA. Remember Russia's seizure of the Baku-Supsa oil pipeline during their entirely peacekeeping mission in South Ossetia? Russia has the EU, and especially Germany, by the nuts - just another aspect of the Russian multifaceted attack on the West.

Last edited:
Russia is behaving predictably, by attempting to bully a neighbour with force.

Your post ignores the fact that the ex-WP joined NATO voluntarily. They were not subsumed by the West, they elected to join a defensive alliance. The reason being Russia itself, whose history previously under the Soviets and the RE before was aggression and dominance of its neighbours. The implication that this issue has been created by anybody but Putin looking to play his Pauper's hand, pushing at any open door, is risible.
ALL those smaller nations have joined a defensive alliance which was setup to face the soviet threat and that turned the defensive alliance into something with enormous foreign policy problems with Russia, that didn't exist before expansion.

Is there any reason you told me two wrongs don’t make a right?

On the plus side, you think Hutchens tells the truth……….Such as his thinking that Putin is ‘a baddy’

As you added a p.s.

What is rather interesting is your sudden subject knowledge on Ukraine.
There is of course no reason whatsoever from the history of your life you have given us to remote equip you with the knowledge you are professing to now have :)
Russia is the bad neighbor at the end of every street.... But we now have expanded into direct contact with that bad neighbor on multiple fronts and it was inevitable that conflict would grow with them. Its why our side in this debate, is intellectually dishonest to believe we are peacemakers and whilst Russia are wrong, we are wrong as well.

ALL those smaller nations have joined a defensive alliance which was setup to face the soviet threat and that turned the defensive alliance into something with enormous foreign policy problems with Russia, that didn't exist before expansion.
NATO exists as the result of an enormous foreign policy problem with Russia/USSR.

Most of it does go through Ukraine, hence the tensions between Russia and Ukraine for many years. I went to a security conference in Geneva a few years ago and the head of EU Energy Security gave a presentation emphasising the need for less reliance on gas from Russia. I guess no-one listened to him back in Brussels.

Gas pipelines in Europe:

View attachment 634134
What gets me is that Algeria is supposed to be able to provide much of Europe's needs in gas, yet their supply is currently restricted.